Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

old knife

osgood

as a teenager, found this deep in the rocks- near a sizable waterfall, outside of Buffalo , NY. Cant seem to find knives with stars where the rivets are. Seen anything similar? I think it is old. Any opinion? thanks CO
old knife DSCN4832.png

as a teenager, found this deep in the rocks- near a sizable waterfall, outside of Buffalo , NY. Cant seem to find knives with stars where the rivets are. Seen anything similar? I think it is old. Any opinion? thanks COView attachment 8469
Nice find, osgood.... here's one to start it off...

ANTIQUE RARE FOSTER BROS KNIFE WITH INLAID BRASS STAR RIVETS​

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 1.21.33 PM.png

Boy thats close but I see the found knife has a cap on one end, make me wonder if they made variations with the brass stars as well.

Nice find, osgood.... here's one to start it off...

ANTIQUE RARE FOSTER BROS KNIFE WITH INLAID BRASS STAR RIVETS​

View attachment 8474
Thanks, that definately helps start the hunt to find out more about it.

Boy thats close but I see the found knife has a cap on one end, make me wonder if they made variations with the brass stars as well.
i noticed a lot of the Foster Bros had 3 stars at least, there is a pin half way between the two stars, but perhaps that could of secured a pocket knife logo? not sure that it is brass, ive seen brass age greenish on the toilet hinges of course , can only glimpse maybe a green hue, here and there. I will say for its size it is very heavy. The end has no rust, the end at the missing blade has some rust i believe from the rust on the blade remnant.

Thanks, that definately helps start the hunt to find out more about it.
There are quite a few images online of Foster Brother knives in different styles, butcher, skinning, deboning... many of these have 3 star rivets recessed into the handle. From your pic, it appears quite a lot of the surface wood has rotted away leaving the rivets exposed. Also, appears iit may be missing a centre rivet head, if so, looks very similar to the Foster Bros. knives. As @Ronstar observed though, other than the F. Bros cleaver, none I've seen so far seem to have any sort of metal ferrule on the end of the handle like yours.

Quite a few at this link:

i noticed a lot of the Foster Bros had 3 stars at least, there is a pin half way between the two stars, but perhaps that could of secured a pocket knife logo? not sure that it is brass, ive seen brass age greenish on the toilet hinges of course , can only glimpse maybe a green hue, here and there. I will say for its size it is very heavy. The end has no rust, the end at the missing blade has some rust i believe from the rust on the blade remnant.
What do the top and bottom and other side look like, osgood?