Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

old maps

coin2

HI

I am looking for some old maps for treasure hunting. How do i come by finding these maps and where can i get them? thanks
priscilla

Depending on the county and state your interested in, good maps can be obtained for free over the Internet through the local geographic information system web site. In your search engine type your counties name, state initials, along with gis. Some counties gis maps have a function in which historic places and landmarks can be layered onto the map.

Here is another good on line source for old maps, the Perry-Castaneda Library Map Collection from the University of Texas at Austin.

RayB found some old maps of Fort Worth and surrounding cities for sale on Ebay. Might check there. Also alot of cities have historical societys. The town I work in is only about 10 square miles and was started back in the late 1800's and they have a historical society and a website. The site shows old pictures and gives the area where old shops and such were located so you might check your city or surrounding cities for similar organizations. The State of Texas has a historical society website which shows locations of every single historical marker and the history of that sight and its broken down by county, so check and see if your state has something similar.

WOW! This site is cool. I want to thank you both for your help. I have one more question for you. Some time's i have a hard time under standing how to read maps,[old ones].Is their any easy way to read thous kind of maps?

priscilla