Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old park? Key date Buffalo!!

Ronstar

Supposed to snow here a little more tonight and the temps tank mid week so sure, what else can that park be hiding???
Slid back in where I got the IH pennies and the old Merc and thought about what I should do. I had not hit this area with the Legend in M3 so figured I would play and see what happens. I have been there in Park, M1, in F setting. Been there in Park, 4khz and F…… so lets try Park, M3, in G setting.

Told myself I would work the area where most of the old coins were in that area, keep it to about 20 paces by 5 sweeps wide. First two sweeps I hit a deep 45 and dug an old penny, it was encrusted just enough to not read the date. Started my third sweep row and locked onto a solid repeatable 20, dug it out at about 5-6” and I could see it was a shiny ring! It looked thick and it was heavy for its size. No, at first check, markings noticeable on the inside so check it later too. At the end of this sweep I locked onto a deep 25 so hoping another old nickel. Out pops a Buffalo from the 5-6” depth and it was pretty well worn. Tried as I could to make the date but it was iffy and all I could make out was 191?. A little spit and soft brushing and I was convinced the partial last digit was 3. I could see the top half of the last digit and the left half of the top circle had a break in it, a 3 right! Text the wife to check my coin book and see when Buffs made their debut, she answered 1913 so I was a little excited as that would be my oldest Buff!
Got home and let the coins soak a bit in hot water, still not positive of the date. The penny was a 1919 and the ring was marked stainless steel. Ok, muscle down on the nickel……let it soak in vinegar and a shake or two of salt. Kept brushing and soaking and date not really any better but I’m convinced its a three.
Book lists 1913 as a key date in that two varieties were struck. This one is a Variety 2, no mint mark. Date is sketchy but the buffalo horn is visible, go figure!
Just cant get any decent photo of the nickel but here is the ring as dug on scene!

Attachments

• 95072297-2879-4A0F-B2CF-7D14BC912A55.jpeg
    95072297-2879-4A0F-B2CF-7D14BC912A55.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 75
Dude you are tearing it up in that park. What are you digging with? Ground is frozen here in some spots.

Matt, it was 40s here today. Yesterday it was cooler but the top 2” was firm and everything below was normal. I use the Lesche 36” T handle, easy to push. Not so much in a couple days, lows in the low 10s!!!

I have a SS N/M t handle coming. Temps here around Boise are going to drop down in the mid teens in a few days as well unless the weather gurus change their minds again.

Mr. Ron you are on fire at this park!! Goes to show, there are still more coins waiting for you! Nice score on the 1913 Buff!