Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old Ranch Hunt 12-23-2015 - Just some relics

Fish N Chips

My Daughter and I got a late start but the weather was great so we headed up into the hills. I went to an old ranch along a wagon road, it was gone by the early 1900's and very little remains but some rock walls and scattered debris. The nails and tin at this site are a challenge but it gives something up every trip, you just have to work for it.

I used the Teknetics T2 with the 5" coil. I also took my Eldorado with my new 5.75 coil, but the T2 was working so well I never switched. I tried the NEL sharpshooter but there is just too much litter. The 5" coil works so much better in the iron. I started with Sensitivity 45, Discrim 10 and Tones 3 and got some nice finds. Half way through I switched to Sensitivity 45, Discrim 24 and Tones 2+ and the site really opened up. I found it much easier to pull the good targets, yet the iron audio helped identifying the larger rusty tin. The recent rains had the iron and tin ringing up high, so I dug a few cans and tin bits. I got a trenching shovel so I would not have to kneel in the mud while digging. What a help, it really saved my back not having to kneel and stoop. I would pop the plug, spread it with my boot, locate the target, retrieve, and off to the next one. My digging speed went way up not having to kneel or bend over as much, and my knees really thanked me not being wet and muddy. Being a wooded site filling the holes back in was all that was needed.

I made a lot of horse finds as I always do at these sites. I like the buckles, horse shoes and tack. I got a nice mule shoe, a snaffle bit, and a few buckles and loops. A few clock parts and gears. Several lantern parts and more expended bullets and shotgun shells than I care to mention. A 41 caliber cartridge. A button, and half a sheep shear. My best finds were a silver plated fork marked Western M., and a nice little broach with the pin still intact.

My daughter used the Silver umax and 5.75 coil. She got some saw blades, buttons, horse shoes, bullets, ect. She held out for a while but the broken pieces of pretty glass always pull her off the detecting before long. She does pretty well eyeballing surface finds.

I will not show all the iron and bullet casings, but here are the better finds. I want to see if I can ID the fork and the buttons after I clean them up a bit. It was a great day and nice to get out for a bit.

20151223_185830_zpsqxymxp8g.jpg

20151223_185903_zpsjfbyum2u.jpg

20151223_185924_zpszsvxmvg5.jpg

Looks like you and your daughter had a nice outing. Nice looking relics you found there. I like old horse tack myself.