Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

old rifle cartridge with a vaq.

jld66

found this old live cartridge marked - rem umc 32 40 - in the woods behind house. umc (united metallic cartridge) made these for remington from 1871-1910 for their breech loading "rolling block #1 sporting rifle" so, it's at least 104 years old. nothing to spectacular but, i thought it a nice find.

Jld66,
That's a good find, a moment in history. I enjoy finding old items and then getting to research to find out when stuff was made and what it was used for. I have been learning a lot over the last few years and not only about metal detecting.

thanks tonetime. this and a 1808 large cent are my two best finds. found the large cent in the backyard. only been doing this two weeks. i enjoy it a lot.

sorry hatpin. it is in pretty bad shape, not worth much. got it on my third day. almost threw it away till i looked at it with my reading glasses on after cleaning it up a bit. i guess it was beginners luck. if it was not the first decent thing i found, i'd send it to ya. haha

Cool old cartridge! :cheers: I'll have to pay more attention to the rifle cartridges and shotgun brass I find and do some research on them.

ooops umc stands for union metallic cartridge, not united.

It must hav fumbled out of his hand when loading cool fand

I've found lots of cartridge cases in my travels, but seldom loaded ones, and yours is definitely less common. Nice find.
BB

That's a really cool find. I know some people consider them a nuisance but I love finding old shell casings and shotgun brass.
Mike

Dirtdigger1 LC43 is Lake City Army Ammunition Plant in Missouri that produces the most small arms cartridges for the US military. The 43 is the year it was produced. So yours were from WWII.