Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old Road

Lizardchaser

Hi All

Have been hunting an old wagon road into the town i live at for a few years now. Finding a few old shells and bullets and a few other odds and ends.

The copper or brass buckle cover I found this spring.

The web brass is a first, and I have found 2 more oxen shoes.

Back of buckle

Thanks for looking... got more If you like it...I can post at a later date

Nick

You probably know this but the "horseshoe" in your pictures is actually an oxen shoe.

Nemo

Boy oh boy, what a dumbah I didn't read what you had written just looked at pictures. What a dummy am I

Ox shoe's have become quite collectable in some circles over the past few years. I'd hang on to them.
Nice finds,
David@Dixie

There are 3 possibilities here. .35 Allen; .38 Short and .38 Long. Firing pin appears to be Ballard

What is the diameter of the rim on this one and might be able to eliminate one of the three.

Dave

I am looking my guesses in Barnes' Cartridges of the World under Current and Obsolete Rimfire Cartridges. Sorry there is no match (not even close) for the base of the cartridge to be that size.

Dave

Measurements would indicate a .46 Extra Long. It was a Ballard cartridge and firing pin appears to be Ballard.

Dave

It's .38 long or short. Both were fired in the Ballard along with others. The Long came out during the CW and was generally a rifle bullet but later revolvers chambered for them. The short is post CW and was also used in sporting rifles and revolvers.

Hope this helps

Dave

BTW you can tell if it was fired in a Ballard rifle by looking on the sides of the casing. If there are "curved scratches" actually chamber drag on the casing on ejection it was fired from a rifle if not then revolver.