Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old school gives up different kind of loot

garthbfan

Got out to the old school this morning which I have permission to hunt and got skunked. Well in finding coins that is, but I did find something that's been on my wish list for a while. I found an old bell there is a name for these kinds of bells but it escapes me at this moment! While it is missing about a third of the body I did manage to recover the ball that is on the inside. Needless to say I was very happy. I also found a huge cap of some sort. It is light weight, has threads on the inside and a "S" on the top of it. My first thought was a Studebaker gas cap. Just a thought, if anyone is familiar with this cap give me a heads up. It's large, I put a standard pen in the photo to compare it's size. I also found what I think is a lead weight. Thanks for looking.

It's a crotal bell and finding a whole one is a real bonus. I'm still looking. Couldn't say what the cap was for.

Nice finds

.... it was tied around a cows neck, traditionally. Back in the far gone days, fences weren't common like they are now. Back then, if you erected a fence it was generally to keep something out, not to keep critters in.

See, cattle were ranged instead of penned, i.e., allowed to roam the nearby coves and hillsides. The owner would mark his beasts by branding or cutting his design into their hide and turn 'em loose. Once or twice a week he would visit them and bring some spoiled apples, produce trimmings, grain or a salt lick.
When he arrived in their vicinity, he would listen for the sound of the bell. If he didn't hear it, he would move to a new spot until he did. Then he would holler to them in his own special way.... "Heeeeere Bosssie!..." or whatever he had been using since they were born. Each man had his own call and the cows were used to it - they wouldn't come to another's call.
But once the lead cow heard him, she would come on in with all the others in tow to get their treat!

This way the cows were kept in one small section of the range, where they could be readily found.

Crotal bell and the other could possibly a plumbing cap. S for sewer line.

Thanks for the info on the bell. I wish it was whole but was very happy to find the little ball that goes on the inside! I think the cap is from a Studebaker but not the gas cap but from the hub cap. Had a friend send me a pic and it looks like a match!!

garthbfan said:
Thanks for the info on the bell. I wish it was whole but was very happy to find the little ball that goes on the inside! I think the cap is from a Studebaker but not the gas cap but from the hub cap. Had a friend send me a pic and it looks like a match!!
Id say you are right.

The gizmo with the S on it is a Studebaker hub cap and wheel bearing cap from a 1920 something model. Take it to a classic car flea market or meet and you can probably get some nice bucks for it. Nice finds.

Bil

Good thing it wasn't attached to the rest of the Studebaker :rofl: or you'd still be there digging.

hehe too funny B2H way too funny :lol::clapping::crylol::lmfao: