Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old Silver ID

Mike K (Ohio)

Well this wasn't a find from today. But I'm sharing something a friend showed me and wasn't sure where to post it so it had the most impact as far as helping others ID some of there old worn out silvers. So please excuse me if I'm doing something wrong.

Well Back in Oct 1st of 2010 I asked the gentleman that owned the home for permission. He was 92 and said it was ok with him. But he had 1 favor to ask, He said he was changing the oil in his tractor like 35 years earlier and had lost a silver dollar that had been passed down from one generation to another. It was in his back yard and I told him if it was there I would probably be able to find it. With in 15 minutes I had it. I walked to the door and knocked and he came to the door and I said you remember this his eyes lit up like seeing an old lost friend flipping it between his fingers like he never had lost it. He called his wife over and showed her while they smiled and reminisced about it. He thanked me and then told me he wanted me to have it and to put it in my little black coin book. I told him to give it to his kids and pass it down and he said they would just loose it. Put it in your little black book and it will never be lost again. He also brought out the metal detector he purchased through the JC Whitney catalog and if your old enough you will know what I'm talking about lol. He said he found more nails, bolts and rusty iron and gave up on the silver dollar. Anyway Derek showed me a little trick on how to bring the coin back as I've always wanted to know what year it was. He put some silver acid on it and it raised the date and image. So now all you people that have worn silver coins know how to possibly see what they are. So its an 1883 Morgan.

Mike K Ohio

Wow very cool story I found a 1883 morgan last march 2018 with a walker right next to it!
I almost had a heart attack!
Mark

I don't know if my old heart would be able to withstand the adrenaline flow that seeing a silver dollar come out of the dirt would cause. Outstanding find and story.

So that's what my worn out Morgan looks like :) I can see the faint images but was happy to put a date to it :) Congrats on your digs!!!!!!

Great find. I'm still looking, after 45 years, for my first one.

They're out there halves and dollars I found my Morgan and a peace dollar last year.
Mark

Maybe I'll get lucky and found me a Morgan or seated half or a bust dime lol where do I stop haha Congrats on finding yours :)