Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old Stone Lined Well

Zugmaschine

Hey guys this is my first post so work with me if i screw up something :)

Anyway a little about me i am 16 i started metal detecting about 8 years ago and i haven't found a whole lot but i have found some cool stuff.
But i have a questions, when i was detecting around an old building/barn/train station site i found a stone lined well. Now right off the bat i am not digging this thing out if its filled in and i sure as heck ain't hopping down there. But if i scrap away at the top and find out its not filled in how should i go about seeing if anythings down there it doesn't bother me that much to just forget about it but it was something that sparked my curiosity. I found a dump that dates to the 1840's back there at the same site so i put most of my effort in that so like i said the well doesn't really bother me that much.

I mapped out the whole place, its in some thick woods but when that wasn't there, there was a pasture and some kind of building but the dump was in the corner of the pasture so there's a lot of broken stuff 4 inches under. Then around 8-10 inches deep i was pulling 1890's bottles and about 6 inches down i pulled a broken 1840's medicine bottle. So that being said i was thinking the deeper i dig the older it gets which is the case with most dumps. Its a pretty nice sized dump probably 40x25 feet and i only dug a 4 foot circle and i found a bag of stuff so i have lots to look forward to this year.

Working in any hole where entrapment is possible is risky. OSHA if I remember right says don't go in if the hole is over your knees. That sound shallow but if you fall and are flat to the ground you can be trapped and not be able to free yourself from the weight on your person. Be cautions entering any confined space your parents will appreciate you being careful.

Safety is the most important thing to consider ..... i use to do some old privy digging back in the 70s along with a group of people more experienced than myself... without a picture im not sure what you are looking at... old wells and outhouses were often stone lined, however if you are in a country setting and you already know where the dump is i would do a little digging there.... most privys in a country setting werent used as trash pits as compared to an in town setting and being that the dump is nearby its even less likely that anything worthwhile is in the stonelined pit... both the dump and pit may have already been dug,then again maybe not...i would concentrate on the suface dump... good luck.. by the way an 1840s medicine bottle should be pontiled on the bottom... just saying... what state are you in?

I am in pa "bootyhoundpa" and yea I kinda figured that when I was doing a little reading about town and country privy differences so I think I am just going to focus on the dump and yea it does but I only pulled out maybe 4 pieces I kept them and have them in my "collection".

"detectin4fun" Yeah, I read about that knee deep thing maybe 3 years ago somewhere anyway I think I am just going to leave the well alone BUT thank you very much for your concern I am greatly appreciative knowing other people care :)

Zugmaschine said:
I am in pa "bootyhoundpa" and yea I kinda figured that when I was doing a little reading about town and country privy differences so I think I am just going to focus on the dump and yea it does but I only pulled out maybe 4 pieces I kept them and have them in my "collection".

"detectin4fun" Yeah, I read about that knee deep thing maybe 3 years ago somewhere anyway I think I am just going to leave the well alone BUT thank you very much for your concern I am greatly appreciative knowing other people care :)

Don't leave it alone start hunting around it. Old wells clue you to Old houses somewhere near.

daddyflea said:
Zugmaschine said:

Don't leave it alone start hunting around it. Old wells clue you to Old houses somewhere near.

No I will still detect around, I was talking about just digging the well out I am still going to keep detecting around there and plan to finish my map, I started to make of the property.

Hi Zugmaschine, sounds like you do have a sweet spot to look forward to digging. Good idea too not fretting about digging the well. Detect around it but pass on "digging" it ! Sounds like you are hunting alone so all the more reason for caution. Since you already know a good bit about the place and are learning more and mapping it with each visit, that will give you mental pics of what activities etc. that took place there . Since it was really old and such an active site I would suggest you may learn more about it by getting the Township , Range and Section #'s from a ToPo map and going to the BLO Records and doing a Patent Search just to see what/who turns up. BLO also has Original Surveys (same search site) for many states and sometimes they will even show roads/trails houses, fields and landmarks. Any Old maps may help too. Railroad history for that area should shed some light on your site too. That was a very active area , and possibly even so before the railroad came there. A few rain days spent on the PC could add some more info on your sweet spot and that always adds to the fun of the hunt. Last suggestion, concentrate on detecting at first, and keep your map in your pocket to keep your mind tuned to putting your steps in those of those there before! HH, Charlie

fowlercharles said:
Hi Zugmaschine, sounds like you do have a sweet spot to look forward to digging. Good idea too not fretting about digging the well. Detect around it but pass on "digging" it ! Sounds like you are hunting alone so all the more reason for caution. Since you already know a good bit about the place and are learning more and mapping it with each visit, that will give you mental pics of what activities etc. that took place there . Since it was really old and such an active site I would suggest you may learn more about it by getting the Township , Range and Section #'s from a ToPo map and going to the BLO Records and doing a Patent Search just to see what/who turns up. BLO also has Original Surveys (same search site) for many states and sometimes they will even show roads/trails houses, fields and landmarks. Any Old maps may help too. Railroad history for that area should shed some light on your site too. That was a very active area , and possibly even so before the railroad came there. A few rain days spent on the PC could add some more info on your sweet spot and that always adds to the fun of the hunt. Last suggestion, concentrate on detecting at first, and keep your map in your pocket to keep your mind tuned to putting your steps in those of those there before! HH, Charlie

WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH, and yes i do like the spot i have and yea i would love to do some more research about the history of the place, Personally i like the history part more than the "what i find part". But it does sit right next to a rail road track and we were thinking it would be a railroad rest stop, there is a strange marble/granite marker with the corner cut out and there's some etching on it when it gets nicer i will post a pic of the marker to see what it would be. Thank you for the amazing information i really appreciate it and i will keep you posted on what i find and what happens. :)

It's great to hear you like the "history "part so much! Love of History research compounds the enjoyment and success of detecting ! The thrill of the hunt does not always take place while digging in the dirt but can just as well take place in a quiet corner of a library, on the PC, or talking to some old person. Oh yeah, check any old aerials you can locate too for more perspective on your site, and if possible find a hunting Buddy, one you can trust of course , and your hunts and research will add to a lifetime of great friendships and memories! HH, Charlie

fowlercharles said:
It's great to hear you like the "history "part so much! Love of History research compounds the enjoyment and success of detecting ! The thrill of the hunt does not always take place while digging in the dirt but can just as well take place in a quiet corner of a library, on the PC, or talking to some old person. Oh yeah, check any old aerials you can locate too for more perspective on your site, and if possible find a hunting Buddy, one you can trust of course , and your hunts and research will add to a lifetime of great friendships and memories! HH, Charlie

Yea i love the history part the most, because it makes me feel like i am back in that time i always tell my dad i was born to late HAHA! Anyway i have a friend that would like to go with me and my dad goes sometimes but i will hit that place as much as i can this year i am extremely excited for this detecting season. I do have to start looking more at parcel maps but i found another site to check this year i got to ask for permission first but its an old house from the 40's-50's and no one lives there anymore. So i have been looking into that one a little more than me other site. But thank you everyone for giving me tips it means alot to see other people care and want to teach us (younger generation) i wish more would be into metal detecting but you can't win them all haha!