Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old swimming hole beach filled with strange metalic reading sand.

Digdoggy

Anyone ever experience this. I was hunting a small town park last fall and hit a little clad. I returned to this site when I received my new 705 Gold package and the Digger coil. Found very little good but a ton of small lead fishing wieghts. Being in my early stages of a learning curve with the 705 I dug most solid hits to learn. The little lake on this site is currently a local fishing spot and has a small sandy strip about 60' x 35' and looks like it was not original beach but filled. Before hitting it I talked with an old timer sitting there watching me and he says. " This was an old swimming hole and right there was the beach". He'd lived there around 50yrs. "He says many people you know, lost rings and jewlry right there" ,including his wife who found hers. I was nearly trembling at this honey hole standing there trying not to show my eagerness and sqeezing my new 705 so tight my nuckles must have been white. Then the bomb!! He says , " Oh many guys like you with these detectors have been over this spot and found a lot of stuff through the years. ,,,,,Aaaww crap! I thought of coarse its been plowed by MDers I thought. He left and I hit the coarse sand anyway when the 705 and digger coil just goes off constanly while sweeping this beach. Iron signals everywhere and nothing at all in any holes I check. It was the sand itself!! I took up a handfull and waved it under the coil and blooop, beep it goes off. I don't know what the heck they dumped there but this coarse sand is Hot! All 60' x 35' . Coarse yellow white fill and I don't know what it is.
Has anyone a suggestion because I may try a different setting with the 705 to see what maybey left down there. Thanks for reading,,,,
Dog

Read up on the use of Prospector Mode w/Iron Mask.
Sounds like they might have trucked in additional sand. I have one park near me where I swear they must have used foundry sand for fill, and it's the same as what you've described.

Thanks LH, I'll check the manual on prospector mode and maybe give the Iron sand a shot. If nothing else for the sake of our science. Its a good exuse for me to try prospector since I've only air tested it for a minute with a merc, I loved the sound. I'll make it a fun swing and learn trip but I'm wondering what they may have covered up. Also previous hunters may not had a great machine like the 705 on this site.
By the way digger coil or 5x10, guess I could bring both.
Dog

Since gold is one of your desired targets, I would lean toward the HF coil.