Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

OLD TOOL OF SOME KIND?

McClod

Hi Everyone,

I found this very old looking tool (?) buried about 10 inches down directly at the base of a very large and very old Douglas Fir tree and wondered if anyone has any idea what type of tool this might have been? I was in open screen when I found it with my CTX and it was in the iron range but figured it could be something interesting so I dug it, and it was, something interesting anyway.

Almost looks like the point of a spear but the edges are not sharp, or even very narrow. If anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to hear them!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/Silversurfer57/METAL%20DETECTING%20FINDS/IMG_20140130_170209_139_zps60b07702.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/Silversurfer57/METAL%20DETECTING%20FINDS/IMG_20140209_OLDTOOL_003_zps938ed884.jpg

I almost forgot! I Also found this awhile back across the street from where I live, just buried between the street and sidewalk in an old rural area, it is obviously an Axe head of some kind, but I'm wondering how old it might be if its very old at all or if it's just a rusted piece of junk at this point and not some kind of artifact.

Thanks for looking everyone and any help identifying these of course is greatly appreciated!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/Silversurfer57/METAL%20DETECTING%20FINDS/IMG_20131016_155046_062_zpsc3935c18.jpg

Mc Clod, The first item looks like a wood chisel , no idea about second item Hope this helps . Ezra.

Thanks Ezra, that's a good start!

Thank you too Brianc577! But can you tell me where its bought from and the grade of paper? :clap:

Second item does not seem to have a hole for a handle to fit into so more likely a splitting wedge than an axe head HH Dave

the first item looks to be what's left of a file

Thanks for the idea's guys, appreciate it. The file looks about right. The edges are not sharp like a blade or anything, and it's so rusted over its hard to tell if there was ever any file markings but
that's probably what it was.

Thanks for looking and replying.

The second object looks like part of a grub hoe, used for digging potatoes in this part of the world. They where fairly lightly built and often snap off at this point. I have found about 5 of these as well as a few dozen axe heads.

HH

images

Thanks 1859! I bet you are right about that! It looks very similar to the photo you included, minus the handle holder.

First item looks like a file to me too.