Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Older coin I've found

mcuch

Back to the Cain field and dug up an 1840 seated liberty, it was cut in half so I only have half the coin but it was the half with the date on it. It is the oldest coin found to date, last one was a 1928D Standing Liberty a few months ago in some woods. I'll try to post the front side later, for some reason it won't post more than the one pic right now.

Nice find congrats, keep in mind where you found that half I would say the other half is within a few feet of where you found that half. My guess is some kind of farm equipment got hold of the coin and cut it in half.

Ron in WV

mcuch said:
Back to the Cain field and dug up an 1840 seated liberty, it was cut in half so I only have half the coin but it was the half with the date on it. It is the oldest coin found to date, last one was a 1928D Standing Liberty a few months ago in some woods. I'll try to post the front side later, for some reason it won't post more than the one pic right now.

Nice Score !!! Congrats on your first Seated. I am sure it won't be your last !!

Nice find and neat it had the date. I once found a cut six pence with the date missing, but from the the type was able to determine it was a ladder 1800's piece. About 5 years later hunting the same area I found the other half. Like Ron said, the other piece is probably in the area. HH jim tn

The coin was cut straight down the middle and a 45° angle on the cut, looked like it was an intentional cut. I checked around that spot pretty good but didn't find the other half, probably got cut in half back in the 1800's. That button I found yesterday looks to be an early civil war Revenue Cutter Service coat button. Later on after the civil war they became The Coast Guard, pretty excited about that one, I think that one might be kind of a rare find. The shank is still on the back of it and its not dented or scratched up, and it whole, I got some of it cleaned enough to see some gold gilt on it and once I'm able to clean the rest of the crud off it, it will be a nice looking button, the flat button from yesterday was made in London.

I guess that is one way to make change.

Ron in WV

Yeah but you should have heard me cussing when I saw it was a cut half seated liberty dated 1840! Some people thought I was nuts for wanting to hunt that Cain field but I told them that there were old coins to be found in that field along with civil war relics. Just a matter of hunting the right areas of the field, but man, at the cans and can slaw along with all the junk metal. Good thing about hunting that Cain field, I've lost eight pounds swinging those rows so far, never lost any weight swinging my arm in the woods.