Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Older Site with the T2 'Classic'

Fish N Chips

I figured I would find a spot closer to home to detect, but a bit older. I found a house site close to my house. It shows up on the aerials in 1940 and 1962, but it is gone by 1969. I figured it would be a good one to hit for coins and what ever else I could find. Based on the finds I think I may go back the the 1900's. There were some nut trees, pomegranate trees, and other assorted old fruit trees. I located some foundation pits, and septic pits.

I used the Teknetics T2 'Classic'. I started with the 11" coil to locate the nail beds. I found the entire site was so full of trash it was unusable, and although I did find some spots more full of trash than others, I could not hear the good signals through all the trash. So out came the 5" and I went to work.

I set up Sensitivity 80, Discrimination 22 (later 40), Tones 3. Ground balance ran 74.

The 5" worked fantastic and my ears soon tuned into the good targets through the trash. The VID was almost unusable due to all the trash targets, tones ran supreme at this spot. I just went looking for fairly repeatable tones in two directions. Who ever lived at this site LOVED shotguns. I dug more shotgun head stamps than ever in my life. But how do you walk away from targets that good!

I did get pretty good at recognizing head stamps as they did bounce between 59-70 with a slight high tone. But I kept digging anyways just in case. I got another signal that was bouncing between the 59 and 74, but had the good tone and was coin sized. I dug it and at 4-5 inches out pops a 1902 Indian Head! Glad I did not pass up the "head stamp"! I wish I would have taken a look in the hole more to see what was making the VID and tone bounce, but did not get any more repeatable signals from the hole.

The tones were wearing on me a bit after several hours, so I cranked the discrimination up to 40. I got a nice brass shotgun cartridge, a lot more head stamps, a chisel, a 1952 brass plate reminding to fill the oil on a vehicle, some grommets and an underwear buckle. I also got a pewter or lead decorative piece, a brass plate and some other odds and ends.

All in all a good day, I was happy to be able to pull the targets from the nails and iron, even some .22CB brass. I just went back to my Tesoro training and listened for the good tones. I am really liking the T2, the small coil was perfect for this site. There is still a lot of area to explore, I have barely scratched the surface.

20151026_134709_zps3vefccbk.jpg

20151026_134719_zpsq2n3kh4h.jpg

PA260241_zpsfdrfczak.jpg

ScreenHunter_41%20Oct.%2024%2016.15_zpsn5hmgtwy.jpg

A 1902 indian head shouldn't bounce that much, was there anything else in the hole. If the trash gets too bad you can go as high as 70 on the disc. and still get everything but the nickles.

There were some round nails, tiny pieces of rusted tin and iron staining on the dirt, I think the TID was bouncing around due to the close proximity of all the targets. I have rarely hunted a site this litter filled. I had to use the detector to pinpoint a lot of targets out of the hole, as the pro pointer was sounding off on everything. This is where a sunray probe would have been nice. I found very few targets at this site where the TID was not bouncing somewhat, I had to hunt primarily by audio. The tones were good. I used the TID several times, I just could not rely on it. The underwear buckle gave a great tone and locked onto the TID at 82, but it was further outside the trash line. I may try higher disc, but it ran pretty decent at 40. Thanks.

[video]https://youtu.be/L552Bl9_dos[/video]

This hunt was a prime example and a great lesson for others to really listen to the tones and that you don't pass up a repeatable target. Great job!:clapping: Looks like you are a natural with the T2!:detecting:

Nice finds and video! The T2 Classic will be my next machine.

I was thinking of getting a T2 but the more i read could be i will not .. The power head wobbles for weak shaft , The sound is really low .. Now the arm pads are falling off...

A very good write up on the T2,must admit that is all i use is the original version as well,mine is a fair few years old and still performing exactly as it should do,never had any of these troubles that folks are on about,maybe the chinese versions but i certainly dont relate to any of the mentioned problems.I mainly use the Sharpshooter coil instead of the stock coil,NEL Storm amd SEF 15x12 on deep pasture and ploughed and rolled especially when looking deep roman finds and the above mentioned 5'' coil that is a really lovely coil for trashy sites and for its size it pretty deep as well.

The T2 is my main detector as well as the Deus and DFX,i do have other site specific detector/coil combination but as a general rule just prefer to use my regular everyday detector and still learning something new even when some of them have had over 2000 hours of use with them,always learning when out detecting and the main thing is that i am enjoying it today as much as when i 1st started along time ago.

keppy said:
I was thinking of getting a T2 but the more i read could be i will not .. The power head wobbles for weak shaft , The sound is really low .. Now the arm pads are falling off...

Keppy, i dont have the classic T 2 mine is the T2SE the foam on the arm rest is falling off ,emailed them twice and have never received a reply back.Really like the T2s they are keepers.the foam thing really isnt no biggy!!! by the way it is only 10 months old

The sound on mine is great, nice and loud. I use a high ohm headset (Killer B wasp) and have to turn the volume down for comfort. The power head flexes, but does not wobble or shake. I read this was by design to absorb impact and protect the electronics? I read that in an older post, and the way it moves, it seems to be plausible. I would not be suprised to see a rubber bushing in there. No foam issues yet, but it is brand new still. The build quality is good, not as stout as my tesoros but it seems solid. No shaft wobble, everything fits tight, no issues with function. I am happy with it.

I did have an issue with the rechargable batteries not charging (2 of the 4 were bad), and my rain cover stiching is not very good. These came in the tech pack with the 5" coil. The coil, backpack and hat are good quality. The rain cover and batterys not so much. May have slipped through quality control, may be poorly made. No complaint with the detector.

Well i am glad to hear good news on the Classic T2 for a while there i thought it was just not worth getting

Just an update on the raincover and batteries, Teknetics sent me an email and had me send them a copy of my receipt and photos of the flaws to start a warranty claim. Only took a day and a half to get a response from them after my initial email.:thumbup:

Fish N Chips said:
Just an update on the raincover and batteries, Teknetics sent me an email and had me send them a copy of my receipt and photos of the flaws to start a warranty claim. Only took a day and a half to get a response from them after my initial email.:thumbup:

Hey Fish and Chips, i never congratulated you on the indinan head penny now i will say Congrats!!! that is good news that you received an email back from them and they are going to fix your rain cover and batteries.i just checked my email and spam folder and still no response,i guess that they like you better than me LOL!! but i am really glad that you have everything worked out.