Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Older Sovereign problem

Kiwi

Help, I went to use my older model Sovereign and when turning it on it just makes a constant noise (used to be quiet until threashold was increased) When sweeping over metal the sound varies then goes back to the constant noise.
I have tried disconnecting the Bar meter and plugging the coil directly in the contol box (no difference):shrug:
Also how do I take the casing off to check inside
Cheers from downunder

Check out your battery pack first.
possible that a couple cells have gone bad.
You should have 12V or a little better on a full charge.

Doubtful that you would be able to see any visible problem inside the box.

You didn't say which model. On my 2a, you remove the 2 screws on the rear connector and push the whole works out the front. Fits very tight and helps to pull on the knobs while pushing on the rear connector.

HH

Took another cup of coffee to think of this....

Both of my Sovs have normal threshold levels (same) if the coil is plugged in or not.

If it you see a great deal of threshold difference between "plugged" and "unplugged" then your coil is probably on the fritz.

Could be a broken wire in the cable or solder joint in the connector has gone bad. Also the coil itself may have gone to crap.

Hope this helps isolate your problem.

HH

Thank you to all who replied to my plea of help, found the problem I am using 8 Ni-MH batteries in 2 holders, testing each battery found a faulty one, thus the problem.:clapping:
Has anyone built a replacement battery pack using individual cells and soldering them together in series ? (I'm part Scotish):devil:

What you have been doing is not going to work very well anyway.
Eight rechargeables provides a voltage level that is very close to the minimum operating requirements for a Sov.

The batteries only have to run down just a little before the detector will crap out.

I put a fresh charge on a set (1800 mah) and ran them in my GT for about 3 hours before it quit. You could get more time on a set of higher capacity batteries, but still nowhere near the time you can get on alkalines or the rechargeable packs that are made for the Sov.

Did hear of someone who managed to make up a pack in a spare battery cover lid, but that's a bunch of work when it's easier to just buy a pack and a charger.

HH

n/t