Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Older Surf PI in black sand?

Atlas

Anyone have any experience with using and older SMPI in a heavy black sand situation.

I'm working an area where my CTX shows suggested sensitivity settings of 1 and I am mostly running in auto at around 4 (ground coin+open screen). Still get lots of false signals and genuine targets can be hard to pick out. I think the machine is getting down around 2-5" in this situation. I have tried manual sensitivity at the 5 level but not sure it made a diff.

I have an older SMPI and thought it might cut through this black sand. However, seems like I tried this a few years back and the SMPI just howled when I lowered it close to the black sand areas.

Any thoughts

If you are good and you can keep your coil level when swinging, you don't have to ever ground balance your PI. You only get a tone from the ground when you move the coil vertically, up or down, relative to the ground. Sometimes very rapid changes in mineralization can cause tones, but these are obvious ground signals and would never be mistaken for a target. Some PIs have ground tracking to take care of this. Anyways, if your surf PI has a pulse delay control, you should be able to raise the delay until the signal from the sand is very minimal. Even at higher delays you'll still get way deeper than the 2-5" that CTX is getting.