Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Older Tesoro's with higher tone

fltacoma

Hello everyone!

I would like to pose a question to everyone who has both newer and older Tesoro's in this forum. As you can tell by my sig block below, I mostly have the newer machines with the slats pointing downward for the speaker housing that is octagon in shape/style and lower in tone, instead of the older round hole design with the higher tones. What do you guys/gals prefer? The newer low tones models, or the older higher tones models? Take for example, the newer low tones of the Tesoro Silver Umax, vs. the older higher tones of the Tesoro Cutlass II Umax. Both are roughly identical, but I find myself drawing closer to the older Cutlass II. What say you?

-Daniel

Different strokes for different folks, all kinds of hunters out there and not everybody hears things in the exact same way or likes certain frequencies.
What one person loves another might not.

I never had any of the old ones but my first Tesoro was a high tone Vaq and I loved it...until I got a Compadre and realized I liked the lower tone better.
Still kept it that way though because using that high tone I could tell instantly when I was swinging over aluminium every time so a little superpower it had I was afraid I would lose if I converted back to the low tone.

Daniel, my head likes the higher tones much better. I had a Vaquero converted to high-tone and like it much more than before. My new Sand Shark has adjustable tone, and I turn the pitch all the way up. I also use my Tejon with tone up high.
I have a couple of the older models and the newer ones too. While most of the newer models are a little deeper hunters, the older high tones sound better to me. I find the standard Cibola and Vaquero tone much harder to like. Compadre, Outlaw and Mojave are a little better, but still not as nice as the really high tone of the old models. Just a matter of what you like to hear.

I like the higher tones better. To me they are more pleasant to listen to. My old Compadre sounded like a car horn honking to me. LOL

Im sure you could get 20 different answers from 10 people with this question.
So here's my two answers! :confused:
With headphones I definitely prefer the newer low tone.
I'm more confident in trash versus coin "sounds"
However, without headphones I think the older high tone models
sound better through the detectors speaker.
I may be crazy but that's what my ears tell me

Noah

I much prefer my older cutlass (not II) umax and my bandido II micromax to any of my new lower toned models.

The Lobo Super Traq has my favorite tones... next would be the B2uMax..... I prefer the higher tones, but my low end hearing has probably dropped off due to playing the bass for years.:yo:

Daniel,

The louvered control face plate and older metal design with holes for the speaker doesn't really have any direct relationship on Low Tone or High Tone audio designs.

You can also read the Owner Manual's to see the spec listed for the various audio output of various models, but that doesn't always mean everything, either. For example, I looked at some manuals and got the following specs:

Current Silver [size=small]micro[/size]MAX is 630 Hz.

Older Cutlass II and Silver Sabre II were listed at 750 Hz.

The Royal Sabre, with 2-tone audio, showed 700 Hz and 750 Hz.

The Pantera, a favorite of mine out of the 2-tone models, was 600 Hz. and 800 Hz.

The original Bandido was 625 Hz and the Bandido II [size=small]micro[/size]MAX is 630 Hz.

The standard 'low tone' Vaquero is 293 Hz. which, for me, is much too low for my hearing.

I had my new Vaquero modified at Tesoro to their 'High Tone' option, and it is much better, but not quite as high and pleasant as my Bandido II µMAX.

On other models, however, even though they might be listed with similar tone pitchers, they can still vary a bit due to the speaker used, the circuitry design, and let's not forget the reminder Tesoro lists in the manual with the audio frequency. It says: Approx. so we know it is going to be close, but not an exact output.

Personally, being hearing impaired and having terrible performance hearing an assortment of different frequencies in hearing exams, I definitely favor the Higher Tone models. I wouldn't keep the Vaquero in my personal arsenal if it only had that Low Tone and not the factory High Tone modification.

Monte

I prefer the higher tone as in the SSumax and the Bandido II umax.
BB

Interesting replies! Barber Bill, the two machines that you listed are the two that I have also, and sadly the only ones that I have for the "higher tone" ones.