Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Oldest coin so far! Does Chinese count?

atomicscott

I was swinging the Xterra 505 yesterday in a spot I've hit before and pretty much started to give up on. After doing some testing in my backyard the other day, I realized just how slow I need to swing the Xterra to find the good signals in between all the trash. The site I hit was a plowed field that used to have an old house on it and 2 or 3 outbuildings of some kind. I was getting a lot of various iron/trashy signals, when I got a nice higher tone that I was able to hone in on and get a repeatable 'dime' tone (ID# was good too). I had just found an Oklahoma 'old age assistance tax token', so I was excited at what this next signal could be. I was pretty shocked when I saw a square hole in the coin. I thought 'How the hell did an old chinese coin end up here in SoCal?' So after researching, I found it is a coin from the Qing Dynasty that was made from 1875-1908. I would love to find some old silver coins, etc... but a big thrill to me is just trying to imagine a person in China with this coin is his pocket over 100 years ago, and somehow it made it's way here! That's what I love about this hobby!

Think about all the Chinese labor that was brought in thru Angel Island in San Francisco Bay to build the transcontinental railroad. I would love to be able to go detect that Island. My cousin was at one time the Maint. Supervisor for the island and found lots of relics.

my understanding is that alot of these chinese pennies were part of some sort or baskets that were being sold in america around the 1890s- early 1900s.... i also found one at an old farm house .. no other foriegn coins were found at that farm house.... just a theory anyway....they are kinda cool and different....

Interesting theory booty. There were a lot of Chinese railroad workers in this area during the late 1800's, so I figured that's how it may have got here. I have only found one other example of this particular coin online. Some say it was money they gave to the dead or 'burial money'.