Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Oldest silver find yet

hodr

Found this behind a local school that has been hit hard for years, nothing else was found except for a few clad coins and lots of trash. While 20th century silver tends to come out of the ground looking brand new around here, older silver always seems to get chewed up. Don't know why that is. I have a couple of other mid to late 1800s silver pieces, but this is definitely the oldest. Old copper completely corrodes here so you are lucky to get a wheat cent that still has a visible date. I have found several large cents, but they are always too toasted to be able to tell the dates or even what specific cent they are.

It's a 1836 5C piece, and I am not sure if it is a large 5C or small 5C variant.

yJnGLdL.jpg

v6vtM6p.jpg

Here is the album with links to the full quality images http://imgur.com/a/jwFfb

Don't know anything about a large or small versions. Typically I think these are called half dimes and are quiet rare in my part of the country. The Capped Bust version which you've found was minted from 1829 to 1837. There are five different varieties of half dimes that were ever minted. Congrats you've found 1 of 1.9 million of 1836 Capped Bust Half Dimes ever minted. Still on my bucket list. Hunter

Wow, silver takes it hard where you are! Was going to ask if it was authentic based on the pic and corrosion before I read your soil comment. Never found a half dime myself, yet ! But is on the list . Good save in that worked out spot.

Nice work! That is a dirt tough area alright! Almost looks like saltwater or fertilizer or something?
Mud

Ya i also thought it was a saltwater find until i read ... great find, its kind of odd for soil to have that harsh of an effect on silver...cool find .

Howdy hodr--

Congratulations on your Half Dime! That's a dandy. I checked my copy of Breen and you have the Small 5C. On the Large 5C, the 5 nearly touches the rim. Great find. That HAD to have made your day! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Hodr--

I didn't have time, last night, to show you the difference between the "Large 5C" and the "Small 5C". Here is a scan of the two varieties from Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins

As you can see, on the Large 5C on the left, the bottom of the 5 nearly touches the rim. On the Small 5C, on the right, there is considerable distance from the rim. You clearly have the Small 5C. Again, congratulations on a great find! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel