Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Oldy but goody

James02

I still use my scorpion and I'm wondering if any others still do. I have two VLF machines I regularly use for prospecting. My Scorpion and Gold Bug 2 both are old technology but still work. I use my Scorpion when my GB2 won't stabilize in extremely tough ground. The lower frequency will sometimes stabilize when the GB2 remains erratic.

I also use it when crevicing, I'm looking for areas where heavies have deposited and get better depth than the GB2 with the 6" coil. Because I'm not specifically looking for nuggets the scorpion works well in identifying crevices that are promising.

I also let newbies use it because it's easier to get them started, I set it to TR discriminate and away they go. The GB 2 has a steep learning curve. I think there's still life in these older machines.

I have had the Scorpion Gold Stinger because it reminded me of my GroundHog but with motion-based Disc. mode as we as TR-Disc.

However I was not located close to a good Elecrronic Prospecting area and mainly did old ghost towns and former dance hall type places or urban Coin Hunting. I use DD coils and have since '71, bur for a lot of what I do and because of the detectors I use, I favor a good Concentric coil. I could not find a good Concentric in nice condition for the Scotpiob so, after about a year, I sold it. I saw one with the coil I would like on a For Sale forum listing but the price they were asking was about double the amount they are worth.

Truthfully, there are many newer detectors that are easier to use than the Scorpion. Also many are waterproof. I still use mine in certain situations. It's the dercctor I carry in my pickup, just in case.