Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Omega 8000

Rainyday101

Can any of you guys that own an Omega run some air test on a dime, penny, nickel, and quarter or at a minimum just a dime and quarter? I am looking at either purchasing an Omega or F70 in the next few weeks. I know the F70 is deep, but am wondering about depth on the Omega. I mostly hunt coins looking for silver and have very mild soil. Opinions on these two detectors are welcome.

You ask for an "air test" and you're wondering about 'depth.' All that will suggest is the potential in a non-mineral and non-masking target environment.

I do like "air tests" but only to check certain detector features or behavior. 'Depth' can only be evaluated, for true functional depth on in-ground targets, but checking a detector and coil on in-ground targets.

You state that you "know the F70 is deep" but I don't know that. I have only see one F70, and when I checked it out I wasn't too impressed, and I was using an Omega at the time [size=small](with other makes and models)[/size]. The Dealer who had the F70 said sales where practically zero, that's why he still had it. I'll note, too, that it had the stock coil and I compared it with my Omega using the stock 5

I found a dime at 8" with a Gamma 6000 and the stock 8" coil.

Thanks for the replies.

Monte, my soil is mostly sandy with little mineralization and coins in this sand run deep. Trash can be a real problem in some of these areas. Most of the silver I found last season was in the trash and was found because I took my time with my Silver uMax and overlapped my swings. Surprisingly, most the silver was real shallow, but that was because there was an old gravel road 3-4 inches down and they were laying right on top of the old road and parking area. One of my silvers found there was a 1894 Barber quarter in pretty good condition. Outside of this area I find 20's,30's, and 40's wheaties in the 6-7" range. Oddly enough I have found a fair amount of 70's quarters in that range also. These are all old parks near the water and these areas are mostly sand. I live by three big river systems, lakes, and that big bay named after americas's favorite football team that Favre use to play for, and sand dominates these areas.

I agree that in most areas depth may not be such a big factor with the different soil types. My sandy area, depth is important from what I have seen. Are there old coins there deeper? There might not be, but the only way to know is have a detector capable of deep coins, and that one would have to be within my budget. I won't sleep well at night until I know the answer to that question. I guess that is what you get when you have an addicting hobby.

I am a fan of air test because as you noted it suggest the potential of the detector. To me the detector has to have potential to start with.

I would love to visit a brick and mortar store. There are none around. The closest one I have found and been too was over 4 hours away and was staffed by a hired girl that didn't detect or know a thing about them. The owner works a second job to make ends meet so he was not there. The other places selling detectors all operate out of a garage or basement at night and don't want to take anything out of the box to demo it, because then it is not new. Most of them appear to drop ship and don't have much if anything in stock except a Garrett AT. Most, but not all of the forum sponsors when called, try to upgrade you to an E-Trac right off the bat. I won't buy from them. When you ask about a detector in the $600-700 dollar range, they shouldn't be trying to stuff an E-trac down your throat and make you feel guilty for not trying one. I would have to drive 5-6 hours to Chicago for a real brick and mortar store, and I would, BUT my wife would cut my nads off! I personally feel that unless you are in real populated area it is hard to justify the overhead and make a living selling just detectors. The internet has not probably helped this at all, but that is just the way things are going. That is why I come to forums like this seek valuable opinions from other users.

My statement on the F70 is being deep is derived from the great bunch of guys over on the Fisher forum. Like you, I trust them and value their opinions.

Follow Monte's advice, he is an experienced metal detectorist. I also have the Omega and i really like it. I once found a coin, at 9 inches, a penny, and while i was digging the signal was strong, i even thought was an alluminum can. Anyways, i hope you choose the best.

I sold my F70 last season and went to the Omega. I do not regret my choice.

F70 is deep, but for me, was very tiring to run as you hear everything, and I do mean everything. Very sensitive to EMI.

I found the Omega to be almost as deep, much less tiring to run, and for me that means more enjoyment.

This is a Rosie I found at nearly 7" in mild soil. Sens 70, disc just above foil on the Omega.

Found this with the omega in 11" depth. 20 m distance to a power line. With the 10" stock. I go for relics, in AT mode, sens max.
The object on the pic came in iron range id (< 40) - belt strap, Carolingian Gold-plated with Silver Applications ca. 850 a.d.
I really love my o8k ....

In ground the omega maxes around 8-10" on dime/quarter in 2 ton or all metal. Now for larger brass it gets stupid deep. I don't really like to dig more than 6-8" and 90% of coins in my area are not deeper than 5" so the Omega is perfect for me.

i don't like to dig super deep, but if i get a good signal, i have to - it's like a curse:goodnight: