Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Omega 8500 ad, elliptical coil question...

horikindaguy

I've no experience with this coil....it's not a DD as Dave J favors for the 'Greek' series so my question for Dave:

hey Dave, just curious about the coil shown in the new Omega 8500 advertisement. The elliptical coil shown is not a DD, correct? What's up with that. Omega is still a greek letter, no?

its shown with same stock coil the omega has always had. the g2 has dd preference/design

The stock 10" concentric coil that comes on the Omega is a pleasure to swing and is a real coin killer for moderate trashy sites. HH jim tn

jim tn said:
The stock 10" concentric coil that comes on the Omega is a pleasure to swing and is a real coin killer for moderate trashy sites. HH jim tn

thanks Jim, curious how many bars you get on your omega's meter to consider it mild ground....

maybe with 3 bars and above (for example) would work best with a DD?

another question, only if you've used a G2/GBP....how would you compare the 2 for urban park/school hunting?

cheers..

Mostly 2 bars with the occasional 3. I've not had a G2/GBP, but the 1st Omega I had and used for hunting parks and the like was prone to have a fair amount of emi issues. My 2nd one was a version 5 and was a whole different (better) detector. And I run my detectors hot with no disc. HH jim tn

jim tn said:
Mostly 2 bars with the occasional 3. I've not had a G2/GBP, but the 1st Omega I had and used for hunting parks and the like was prone to have a fair amount of emi issues. My 2nd one was a version 5 and was a whole different (better) detector. And I run my detectors hot with no disc. HH jim tn

I really hope they moved more of the 'high end' tech (DST) into the 8500...for me, I still lean towards my G2 (now + version) for 2 reasons, emi immunity in the city (I can run full sense no problem) and the
VID #'s are tight and pretty darn precise...with the new iron audio and v-break I can just set the v-break where needed and always leave disc at 0, fantastic....

I do see where the drop in freq from 19khz to 7.8 for the 8500 could make finding some deeper (round or relic) items in older (hunted out?) parks feasible, hence the draw for me.....

I will really peruse the reviews put out for hints as to just how good the new 'lower EMI' tech becomes for what is, already a very fairly priced detector IMHO....this price point is really the sweet spot so I
really, sincerely hope they got this right what with the other units that have encroached on FT turf, ie AT-pro (seems to be THE top seller in this $ range) and now Racer....as to the Racer, it's out for me due to overload issues and what sounds like putting too many conductors into the 83-85 VID range...the G2 has more (useful) range, IMHO so as to decrease my canslaw digging for example.....

Now if FT would like another tester for the 8500 I could provide some definitive answers as to how well they work in Urban environs.....maybe Dave J could throw me a bone, haha....

cheers