Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Omega 8500 China Fakes?

Tom Slick

My buddy called the big K store to see when they would have the 8500 available. Salesman says his boss called the CEO of Teknetics to see why they haven't received any inventory of the 8500. Tek. CEO supposedly tells big K that nobody has gotten any yet so what they have must be a fake from China. Scare Tactics to keep folks from buy elsewhere? Yes, I have the Salesman's name and Ext.

No Joke. That's what he was told.

Hey Tom your posts are always informative and this one is no exception! I don't doubt that the conversation took place.

I have a theory about what happened. The 8500 replaces the 8000. For that reason, I believe that FT held the release of it to reduce the inventory of 8000 held by distributors and dealers. According to a recent thread, a customer ordered one from a dealer who gets direct ship from El Paso and there were no more 8000's at the factory so it's replacement, the 8500 got shipped - before the official release of the new model.

As far as the FT CEO's comment about Chinese clones goes, none of us know exactly what he said..... It is likely that he didn't know that at least one unit had been shipped in advance of the planned release date.

I have never seen any info which would indicate that the 8000 or 8500 were ever pirated, they crooks only did the T2 ripoff in order to swindle poor African miners at a time that those folks were in a gold rush and the word was that you had to have either a T2 or a ML GPX4500 to find gold. The ripoff artists, seeing a chance to make money, copied both machines.

The 8500 is made in El Paso, not China. Says so right on the box - "Made in USA FROM USA and imported parts". I got one this week and I'm looking at the box as I write this.

I'm with Rick on this. The Chinese didn't replicate the 8000, and I don't think they have had the time to replicate the 8500, even if they wanted to.

If I wanted a 8500, I would contact someone who has been in the know and posts here regularly on the 8500. Like Craig or Monte. Then you're getting "first hand" experience and not the "this is what I heard" scenario.

Just my thoughts.

Not only is the information fabricated the talking to teknetics CEO is probably fabricated. The fabrications start and stop at the K. It's a shame because one or more buyer of 8500s have backed away due to other false claims here.

"The 8500 is made in El Paso, not China. Says so right on the box - "Made in USA FROM USA and imported parts". I got one this week and I'm looking at the box as I write this.

hey Rick, looking forward to your thoughts on the 8500....

the whole china clone 8500 thing is so absurd it doesn't/shouldn't warrant any thought at all, maybe a chuckle....FT CEO is not an idiot....Kellyco (no comment)

my opinion on the 8500 is that it will prove to be a major + over the 8000, and for it's MAP price, leading edge (talk to Craig to get a better price!)

I'm not beating up on Tom for passing along what he heard. Better to get these things out in the open where they can be dealt with.

I haven't done much more than verify that the 8500 runs, been a busy week with eye drops every few hours after (very successful) lens replacement surgery on both eyes. I' expectations got 20/20 now for the first time in more than 20 years!!!

n/t

Some people are easily influenced, and shy away until they hear more "facts" by users that are well known. Video's, like yours, are the pictures worth a thousand words. Opinions are a dime a dozen. Until the big picture evolves, I take the small digs with a grain of salt. Don't know about K, but if a customer is dissatisfied with a purchase, most dealers will make it right.

If he's calling to see why he hasn't received any inventory than that means he doesn't have any... right?... real or fake... or am I missing something here?

I ordered my 8500 last week and it's on the way to me right now. Should have mine on Monday. I just wanted to pass along what my buddy was told.

Congrats on your new eyes. I had mine done a couple of years ago and it opened up a new world. I was a Navy pilot and my eyes "went out" after flying only 3 years but that was a long time ago.

Yeah Woodie, I was a Kc-135 pilot back in the day and could always see our oncoming receivers before they saw us - but of course if,they were F-4’s the black smoke made it easy!

Since you list an Omega 8000, I am not sure if you still have it, but hope you have the 5" DD coil for them. I'd like to hear your opinions of how the 8500 and 8000 compare with the 5" DD coil for challenging sites like three particular Nevada RR ghost towns. You can post your comments or, if you would, shoot me an e-mail with your thoughts about how those two compare, as well as how it fits in against some of your other more recent detector models.

Thanks,

Monte

Monte, I do still have the 8000, and the 5" DD coil, and I'll be testing it side by side with the 8500. I'll be sure to keep you posted on how I think they perform against each other in the iron.