Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Omega- different approach with good result

Eric (NH)

I have used the Omega exclusively this year with very good results. I have focused on older sites, hoping to find some older coins and relics, and the Omega has not disappointed (except for EMI issues at some sites).

Typical settings...Disc 16, D1 audio (I don't care for the high tones in D3 or D4) for best separation in iron, sensitivity as high as ground and EMI will allow, typical ground balance ranges from 68 - 72, and 11" DD coil.

Last week, I hunted an old farm field with these settings and found two coppers and numerous buckles and buttons. However, no silver coins came to light.

The next day, after work, I decided to hit a very small park to see if I could satisfy my need for a silver fix. My usual settings were working fine, but I didn't find much of interest, and it was getting close to dark. So...the new approach (for me), in hope of sniping a silver coin...I dialed discrimination up to 70 (sacrificing nickels and handicapped injuns), left audio in D1, sensitivity was in the low 80's, ground 68, with the 11" DD. I was concerned about depth, but the ground in this park has been disturbed, so coins can be at any depth.

The second target was a very faint signal (target ID solid 84/85)...dug to six inches, and the target was still in the hole. From there, I dug an inch at a time, and the deeper I dug, the more certain I became that it would be a large target. Well, at the full length of the Garrett pro-pointer (9 1/4"), I saw the glint of silver I was hoping for, and yes, at the bottom of the hole, still embedded, was a nice silver Washington Quarter.

I share this since many may be reluctant to crank up discrimination. Seems to me that little depth is lost in doing so. It will not be my preferred disc setting, but it is nice to know that it will work well in a pinch.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the depth performance of the Omega. I've been digging .22 shells at 6 or 7" with ease...no doubt the Omega will hunt relics as well as coins.

HH, Eric (NH)

Good report Eric. I still blame myself not buying a very cheap like new omega half a year ago. I had the fisher F70 before and that machine drove me crazy on certain spots even with sens at 0. Farmland was paradise for it. But later I learned that some earlier F70's had some issue's. I guess that Omega reminded me to much of the fisher:|

So now I have the Delta a week [been detecting since 1995 with and used them all] and I just love it. Had a great time last sunday and it showed great performance.

I guess next year I will add the omega again.

HH. Eric.

The Netherlands.

I've become pleased with the Omega's depth as well. I don't use any disc., but when I can dig 7" deep dimes with the small 5" coil, I know there would be even more depth with the other two, bigger coils. Kind of interesting about the silver Washington quarter at that depth reading 84/85. I've dug a couple of clad ones at lesser depths that read the same. I, however, chalked it up to a piece of nearby trash that would read less and the Omega maybe took both signals and averaged them??? Anyway, that is nice depth with that high of disc. And, silver is always nice. HH jim tn

Wow Jim...

7 inches with the small coil is impressive for sure. I already noticed the little 5 incher is quit deep when I tested it in my garden on coins. I am really a big fan of the smaller coils. Do you like the 5x10 eliptical on your omega? If you compare it with the 11 inch DD, what gives better performance?
Indeed, the Washington is a beauty! I simply love those silver coins. I have a beautiful Roman coin but I like my 1850 silvers more:|

HH, Eric.

Thanks Eric (NH). I've tried something similar once or twice, but I think I woud have been better off just putting on the 5" coil and leaving disc as it was....different circumstances to yours though. It is good to read that your tactic worked, and will work for others in similar conditions.

Eric, I like the 5 x 10 a lot. I use all three for a little different things. Average trash, the 5 x 10. Heavy trash, the 5." The 11" for covering more ground quicker, be it trashy or not so much. The 11" see's the least amount of service of late. HH jim tn

they have a very good modulated audio but lose very little in depth performance with increased Discrimination. Compared to many older analog designs, we have some good choices these days. :thumbup:

I usually hunt with the Discrimination set at 1 to 'hear it all,' or if nails are a problem I bump it up to 17-20. Most of the time I hunt with d2 audio, but use d1 on occasion, if there isn't a lot of iron around. Seldom to I increase the Disc. to maximum and just "cherry pick" a site, but there have been times. I only use the d4 Tone ID when I am going for 'flash money' in the wood chip or sand-filled playgrounds. Most serious work is the d2 and sometimes d1 audio.

One other difference, for me, is that my 11" DD sits idle quite a bit. If I need that coil I just grab my T2. In the future I might use a G2 woth that coil, but will likely leave my 5" mounted on a G2. I like the coverage from the 11' in lower-trash sites, but most of the times I am working with the stock sub-10" concentric or the sub-5" DD with the Omega. Matter of fact, I used the 5" exclusively on my Omega for all of September and now, enjoying the 10" again, I still go back to the 5" more often. It will soon be a regular fixture on the G2 or Omega, using the 5" and 10" coils only.

As others have stated, the 5" gets impressive depth on the Omega and Gamma, and I've done OK with it on the Delta, too. Anyway, regardless of the coils available, it's nice that you've discovered just how good the Omega and 11" coil are for you in your hunting needs. Congrats on the silver 25