Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Omega problem, anyone else had this?

Smooth23

My omega likes to occasionally just cut out. Usually when I'm playing with the disc or sensitivity knob, the screen will just blank out and start back up, occasionally I'll have to turn the machine off and back on. It's not very often, but damn it's annoying when it happens and I dont think it should unless there is something loose. Thinking of sending her in for warranty work once the snow flies. I've also got a little problem of one corner of the screen starting to pry up a bit .

I have noticed an occasional delay w/clear screen after pinpointing. Perhaps the pinpoint button is sticking/not releasing...I notice this more in damp conditions.

Eric (NH) said:
I have noticed an occasional delay w/clear screen after pinpointing. Perhaps the pinpoint button is sticking/not releasing...I notice this more in damp conditions.

It also does seem to happen more to me in damp conditions, but it isn't just a delay in pinpointing. My whole machine turns off and I have to reset my ground balance, tones and freq.

Yeah, I get it too and think it might be connected to when the humidity is high like right after a rain, as smooth said..

Every time out it seems for the last 6 times or so, the following has happened 2 or 3 times while out in the field:
Normally when I first turn the unit on it comes on and I raise the sensitivity and GB no problem. But then at a later point, maybe a few hours later, when I turn the unit off and then back on again (moving to another spot for example) the unit just goes off. Sometimes it comes back on again. When it goes off it makes a sharp sound, like going over a small piece of foil or the like. What I've done after turning it on is to not touch the sensitivity knob right away, and that sees to help.

I'm not sending it in yet as I don't have a back up unit and it is not causing me any problems other than a 10 second delay 2 or 3 times in a 5 hour hunt. It never happens while running, only when starting her back up again.

Mine will just go off and I have to turn it off and on again. I plan on sending it in this winter when I can't detect.

Smooth23 said:
My omega likes to occasionally just cut out. Usually when I'm playing with the disc or sensitivity knob, the screen will just blank out and start back up, occasionally I'll have to turn the machine off and back on. It's not very often, but damn it's annoying when it happens and I dont think it should unless there is something loose. Thinking of sending her in for warranty work once the snow flies. I've also got a little problem of one corner of the screen starting to pry up a bit .

I bought my Omega second hand, the seller had sent it to First Texas and it had been repaired, he sent me the shop repair form with the detector which stated "Replaced and adjusted discrimination component and Reprogrammed Unit"

When I got the machine it worked as designed, however after a few trips to the beach, it had started giving intermittent problems.

1. Would not go into the ground grab mode. Just nothing, this was at a rate of about 50% of the time.

2. Same issue with pinpoint.

3. On occasion the above issues would be accompanied by a screen blanking.

I found turning on and off, made it work for a while.

After reading your post, and having basically the same intermittent issues with mine, I realized that it might be a cold soldered joint, if you don't know this term it amounts to a less than professional soldering attempt, resulting in a joint that is not fully bonded, hence often causing intermittent issues (hobby was electronics for a few years).

So with no warranty I opened the case up. Simple to do, but I was gentle.

I inspected all soldering under magnification and bright light. Saw nothing wrong but, I noticed a 2" piece of electricians tape on the backside of the printed circuit board, and it did not look to have been applied during manufacturing.

So I pealed it off, and guess what I found, uncleaned solder joints from I assume, the replaced component during its repair, brown resin which can be somewhat conductive. There were no cold soldered joints but since the pins were close together like they have to be, what I found after I cleaned with denatured alcohol was bridge of resin between two adjacent pins in the row.

After scratching very lightly with an exacto knife to break the bridge ,then some more cleaning with alcohol and a toothbrush I buttoned her back up.

Results, I have working Omega 8000, goes into ground balance, pinpoint and so far works just fine after several on and off cycles.

After a little time l will see if the cleaning job is all that was needed, but I now believe it to be repaired.

Disclaimer: Stating the obvious; If you decide to open yours up, your detector SHOULD NOT be in warranty. I am NOT suggesting you do this, in fact you probably shouldn't unless you understand what I am talking about, and have the know how. Should you trash your detector, don't blame me.

I don't understand, don't you get a warranty regardless? If not, can't you just send it in with the original receipt and just use your own return address? You can even put the name of the guy you bought it from on your address, it will still get there.

I just find it hard to believe (and to a point a bad business practice) to not allow a person to transfer the warranty. Clearly a part of price of a detector is calculated into the warranty, and that should not be lost by changing hands.

earthmansurfer said:
I don't understand, don't you get a warranty regardless? If not, can't you just send it in with the original receipt and just use your own return address? You can even put the name of the guy you bought it from on your address, it will still get there.

I just find it hard to believe (and to a point a bad business practice) to not allow a person to transfer the warranty. Clearly a part of price of a detector is calculated into the warranty, and that should not be lost by changing hands.

Of course you are right, and I suppose I could have tried what you suggest. Since I was lucky and fixed my problem (so far) it is no longer a concern for me. As someone said here, with a machine which has a non-transferable warranty, it is best not to buy used. I have to agree, but I will most likely still do it.

Garrett and Whites are the only two I know of who warranty their products, like all makers should. I guess they are proud of what they make and not hesitant to correct failures that occur under normal use.

From the back of the Manual for the Omega:

The Omega metal detector is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for five years from the date of purchase to the original owner.

Proof of purchase is required to make a claim under this warranty.

A post here about Minelab's warranty:

Minelab,s product warranty conditons, It States Not TRANSFERABLE, Thay wont stand behind thear PRODUCT!!! Thay must not believe in their work!!! See i just bought this Explorer SE $1200.00 N i need to sell it, Whites has a Transferable warranty that is an a + for them,
I spent one week at home practicing and took it in the field one time, I will sell it for $900.00 or best offer, mickfin@sbcglobal.net
If no takers its going on E-Bay, My Whites Delears got a good deal for me on a new DFX or id swop for one, Thats really chicken of Minelab, Thank you, Mickfin,

warranty is to original owner only!.no transfer allowed!
to my knowledge,ONLY white's allows transfer to subsequent owner,and
ONLY for the remaining time left in their 2 year warranty.

(h.h!)
j.t.

jmaryt said:
warranty is to original owner only!.no transfer allowed!
to my knowledge,ONLY white's allows transfer to subsequent owner,and
ONLY for the remaining time left in their 2 year warranty.

(h.h!)
j.t.

From Garrett Website:

Garrett Electronics, Inc. ("Garrett") warrants that each piece of detection equipment manufactured by Garrett is protected by the following limited parts and labor warranty for a period of 24 (twenty-four) months from the date of purchase, with the following exception: the Sea Hunter Mk II, which is covered for a period of 12 (twelve) months from the date of purchase. During this 24-month period Garrett will inspect and evaluate all equipment returned to its authorized repair station or factory to determine if the equipment meets Garrett's performance specifications. Garrett will repair or replace at no charge to the owner all parts determined faulty. This Warranty does not cover batteries nor any and all failures caused by abuse, tampering, theft, failure due to the weather, battery acid or other contaminants and equipment repairs made by an unauthorized party.

No mention of Original Owner like Teknetics

I bought a used GTI 2500 that was 10 years old sometime back, before I did I called Garrett and asked questions about repair cost. It basically came down to the maximum cost of $80 for a complete circuit board and/or $80 for replacement coil. So the most I would have had to spend would be $160 plus shipping one way. I sold the machine because I felt it was too heavy for my old back. Other than that I had no other reason, it worked as advertised.

Try to get that deal with Minelab or any First Texas Product, Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Teknetics, and all the others they make.

i forgot about garrett, because i have not had any interest in their detectors over the years
so i apologize for over looking them!..i will say they make a "great" pinpointer,however i don't want,or need a pinpointer
i utilize the detector as a"pinpointer" and it works just fine for me!

(h.h!)
j.t.

in addendum..excellent observation because the warranty does not specifically state the warranty
is applicable to the original owner,just the "present" owner of the detector!..i wasn't aware of this
because as stated,i have no interest in their detectors,so no reason to "read" their warranties!

(h.h!)
j.t.

jmaryt said:
in addendum..excellent observation because the warranty does not specifically state the warranty
is applicable to the original owner,just the "present" owner of the detector!..i wasn't aware of this
because as stated,i have no interest in their detectors,so no reason to "read" their warranties!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Well Garrett makes a good product, but like you, I don't see anything that I want from them at this time. I have a Sea Hunter II PI machine for water hunting. Now the New AT Pro is getting good reviews, it is sold to be good to 10' of water and that will handle all but a diver's needs. I guess the reigning King for the water is the Minelab Excalibur, but at almost $1200 with a 1 year non-transferable warranty, and reputation for poor customer service, Minelab can keep it.

yes!..it appears "charlie" may have finally seen the "light"
so to speak!..they seem to be interested in trying to compete again!
apparently he is phasing out those "puke" color combinations,and is concentrating
on giving the buying public a technically competitive multi purpose detector in the new at-pro.

Took the O8K to a local park yesterday, and it hit on and ID properly, 1 quarter, 2 dimes, 1 nickel and several Lincolns. Ground balance works, pin point worked, really no problems in about 1-1/2 hour of hunting. So far so good. Had to adjust the sensitivity several times due to ground conditions.

Well, I'll be sending my detector in as it's gotten much worse. Every time I turn it on it shuts itself off and it definitely seems connected to the sensitivity control. It takes a few minutes to get it to stay on and it seems a bit erratic. Luckily shipping isn't too much. Maybe they will amp it up a bit too :happy: