Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

On mission

I hv been detecting a little over a year now and had some great finds...but for the life of me I can't find a Barber series coin...I found more mercury dimes than rosie's...make sense out of that..I found an 1857 railroad token...Also found an 1883 Gettysburg coin...I see guys on YouTube finding seated an capped bust...I use a Fisher F-70 an seem to max @ 5 inches in depth...I would luv to buy the Etrac but wife would want a new car..lol..any advice on settings would be appreciate it.

Hey KCH! I found a 1910 barber dime in the outfield of a BB diamond right behind second base the first year out with the F70..it was deep, and at that time I was not a cladstabber really, so I went after everything. You are finding Mercs, so its just a matter of time for you, i hope its a half or a Q for ya! You should get more depth than 5" out of your gear...but even if you dont, try some tearouts and construction sites. As far as settings, I would suggest anything that runs STABLE in your conditions...meaning you might be too hot to hear the ping...gotta hear that ping if you want to find the thing, want more bling, then swing, swing, swing!...I really like Delta Pitch tones for hearing the ping...the modulated audio tells you how deep the ping is as well. Lots of us have the F70 and our set-ups are all over the board..I have hit deep silver dimes and q's running 55 sens with the 11"dd...
Mud

Thanks Mud, I tryed running @ 99 sen to get deeper but it drives me crazy...so I turn down the threshold to quit the machine, that where I'm probly lose depth,,When I first got the machine right out of the box with fisher settings I went to the local park that's been hunted to death and and found an 1889 indian head @ 7 to 8 inches or so..then I started monkeying with the settings..lol.
I just joined this forum and already I'm gtg help from guys like you..when you say delta pitch gives u how deep the target is,,I ran DP a few times and only see the id numbers....then I pinpoint for depth..am I missing something? Thanks Mud.

Yeah, the high sens drives me crazy too...I rarely get over 80..the sound is modulated so you can with practice tell how deep a coin is by what it sounds like...without looking at the screen. Really good feature to have, since zinc pennys and gold mens class rings sound the same, how deep is it? and where? 5" in the football field? Sure do go after those!
Mud

Well Mud it happened today I finally found a 1911 Barber dime in awsome condition...I reset to factory settings and the F 70 got real smooth no chirping....Now I'm after seated...lol

Mud is it a good idea to clean coin with soap n water? I also heard it's ok to clean coins with vaseline and a Q-Tip...what do you think? Tks..KCH

now thats a beauty! :clapping::clapping: WTG!
I've never officially cleaned the coil or anything else for that matter on my F70...every once in a while I'll swish the coil through a mudpuddle, and wipe off the control screen with my shirttail if it gets dirty...again, thats a real NICE coin!
Mud

Nice coin, for sure. A little water rinse under the faucet won't hurt on common date silver. Typically, I carry a small pill bottle with me and drop my silver finds into it. The water sloshes around when I move and that usually gets all the dirt loose and then a quick shower under the faucet. HH jim tn

If its a key date really rare one thats worth a lot of money, folks say do not clean or wipe them with anything unless you really know what you are doing...but how does a fellow know when he pulls up a coin in the early hours? I dont know...I'm just going to enjoy myself and figure anything I find is better than what I had to begin with! Jim's little pillbottle trick is good advice...especially for you fellows that find old silver on a regular basis...
Mud

Hey Mud...Old Barber cleaned up good...first I used soap and water and then I put in vaseline overnight and finished with a Q-Tip...KCH.

I'm there! Awesome! Good job, KCH! :clapping: Oh that coin cleaned up very well, nice pics too! Go find some more will ya?
Mud

Well went out today,,,almost $3 bucks in clad and one 1964 Rosie. I reset the F-70 back to factory settings and what a difference..coin killer! I had the dam thing all screwed up...I tryed Jim tn's idea carrying a pill bottle filled with water to clean silver finds...I dug so many dam holes with new settings I wound up drinking the water in the pill bottle I was so tired...lmao...I can't wait until my grandsons are old enough to go detecting...I will have one swing the coil and the other grandson do all the digging while I follow behind with my Huv-a-Round drinking beer...lol...everyday outside detecting is a blessing...Thanks for the pill bottle advice Jim tn...next time I won't drink the water..lol..and Mud I read in your Bio that you were a grave digger,,I sure hope you were on your lunch break when you were detecting in the graveyard..lol pic of (Grandsons) Keep on Truck'in. KCH

Man thats funny! When you get so thirsty detecting and start drinking half empty bottles of water and gatorade you find laying around on soccer fields, give me a call! Yeah, that F70 is so adjustable, you can find the sweet spot for any area you hunt...you get good with a screwdriver stabbing clad, and you wont hardly take a shovel with you, unless you are in some chert/clay amalgam, or out in a field somewhere. A fellow can really rack up some clad in a hurry with a screwdriver.
Back in my grave diggin days, I got paid by the hole, not the hour, and that was before I was a detectorist, so I didnt stop for lunch! Nice looking pair of grandboys you have there, and really nice score on the 64 silver and the clad, KCH!
Mud