Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ON THE WHITES IDX DETECTORS DO METAL BOTTLE CAPS READ BELOW NAILS AND NOT AS COINS EVEN IN WET GROUND?

Pookybear

I have been running into a great many bottlecaps with my other detectors and I am wondering if the Whites IDX may be the answer.Thank you

Unforunately screwcaps due to their size and shape can and will fool a detector,it does not matter what brand or make.Because they are coin shaped., some detectors are better at others in help identifying such items. For example the AT Pro gives a low high low tone over them and come in a certain VDI most time.I have a IDX Pro coming I will let you know on how it does with these pesty critters.

Pookybear said:
...and I am wondering if the Whites IDX may be the answer.
Nope.

Bottle caps, like rusty tin and other sizes and types of ferrous-based targets that have conductive enhancements by size and shape (such as flat tin or round bottle caps, etc.) can be a definite challenge for ANY make or model detector operated in the motion-based VLF Disc. mode. Tesoro's, Garrett's, Teknetics, Fishers, Minelabs, others, as well as White's. It is simply one of the trade-offs we have had to come to live with as we "improved" and progressed in detector design to our modern-day detectors.

It is a quirk of the motion-based Discrimination compared with the "true progressive" Discrimination of the earlier TR-Disc. models. Since the first motion Disc. units hit the market in '78 we have seen an almost complete move to the VLF (Ground Balanced) Discriminators from those earlier TR-Disc. and VLF/TR-Disc. designs. That's 34 years and I know many early-era hobbyists have passed away or just not stayed in the hobby, and also notice the bulk of those currently enjoying the fun of metal detecting have never used an older TR-Disc. model or understand the difference from today's popular designs.

With a centered coil sweep directly across most bottle caps, our detectors will usually respond with an up-scale TID/VDI that will be similar to a US 25