Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Once upon a V2

pulltabMiner

Once I understood what the Deus V2 was telling me, I began to rehunt all the spots I had long since given up as 'empty'.

One such place was a postage-stamp size park with only about 40% of it with grass. The other 60% has had play equipment and tennis courts for as long as anyone remembers.

So there I was digging in the most horrible spot in the park. It may be the only spot in Wichita where one can dig coke from a public place. Still, that lunch hour I had managed to pull a Merc from the 20's and a small silver hair clip.

There is a senior center across the street and one of the seniors sauntered to the park and began telling me about the good old days. He was a fellow hunter and he actively hunted in the 60's and 70's with White's equipment. He told me that the park I was at had long ago stopped producing. Interestingly, he told me that the easy, shallow silver was long gone by the 70's in our fair city. I showed him my Merc and hair clip and I also showed him the Deus. He paused for a little while and added "Well, I suppose new tech could revive a park'

New tech. V2 is new tech. V3 is future tech. Live in the now.

I'd like to toss a thought out in response to the question as to which program to use in a trashy park . . . . .

XP spent a great deal of time perfecting the stock programs that come with the Deus but to be honest, most of the refining done to the programs on V2.0 was done outside of the U.S.. The concept of a trashy park is far different over in the UK or Europe than it is here in the US. Last summer I was hunting a park that dated back to the early 1700's in Germany and was shocked at how little trash there was . . . a few hours netted me no more than 5 pull tabs and an equal number of screw caps and this park had not seen much activity in terms of other hunters. In travels across Germany and the Czech Republic, other hunters said that their parks simply did not have the trash that I was telling them our parks did despite being 200 years older. Hate to say anything negative about our country but we seem to be a lot more willing to toss trash on the ground than pick it up.

With that point, the stock programs tend to need some tweeking to excel in trashy US parks or similar sites. They serve as good atrting points but understanding what each function does allows you to dial in a custom program in no time for various sites . . . I have an OLD COIN, a TOT LOT and a NEW COIN program saved on my Deus.

If you are leanring the detector, hitting the trashy parks is probably not the best way to do that . . . . learn the sounds in a less target-rich environment and then move into the trash to pull out the goodies

Andy

Well now, let's see those programs.

Here are my thoughts on the deus. I use mine pretty regulary. There is no one way to set it up to find everything. I usually run 3 tone. I run reactivity anywhere from 0-3 depending on the site. Just this morning running on 18 freq setting out of 4 targets only one would ring in(barely) on 12 freq setting leaving all other settings unchanged. And just think I had busted this site hard in 8 and 12 freq settings and didn't find the four targets. Sure some setups may cut the odds of some missed targets but not all. You almost have to hunt a site many times with multiple settings to get most of the targets. I have also got caught a few times swinging the deus too fast especially in iron patches. I think many folks realizing how fast the deus is allows for a fast sweep. I only agree with this partially. In heavy iron the window of detection can be only a sliver.. I have heard my deus give a tone in these situations but not a good tone or clear tone. After resweeping and adjusting for speed and/or maybe centering the coil over the supposed target the tone gets cleaner and many times higher with even good VDI. When I know I'm in an iron patch I like to turn my iron volumne to zero. Then if my deus gives any type of tone whatsover I reinvestigate with varying sweeps and maybe at times even change my reactivity setting and/or freq to see what effects they have hoping to improve the signal. I love the deus. It complements my CTX real well. I will admit when using the deus targets are more of a surprise than when using the CTX. And yes I've dug some good targets reading 99 on the meter with only a sliver of horseshoe showing. I would never wager a bet on even a small site to say it's been depleted of nonferrous material especially if the person who wants to place the bet is running a deus. I haven't opted for the big coil yet, thinking I'd be better suited for say an 11 incher. Maybe I'll change my mind who knows. I believe about all high end detectors will eventually look simialr to the deus. It won't be as long as you think.

You are right on in terms of what can be uncovered with different settings - especially in trashy sites or areas with iron. Knowing when to bump up the Reactivity or change the Iron Volume makes a big difference in unlocking sites . . . raw detection depth is not always the answer so trading depth for seperation is often a trade that pays off. Trying different frequencies is another option that can uncover items - and often at depths that might surprise you.

I have been hunting a small pocket park for several months and it has served asa test area . . . . I can pretty much tell you where each little rock, bare spot and stick is in the area I have been there so often. Last week I went through a section - no more than 15' x 15' - that I have been in many times before. I have been running at 8kHz or 12kHz and this time I opted to try the 4kHz . . . . I received a clear signal and the target ID said COIN yet the horseshoe showed half black . . . . HMMMM?

I folded back a plug and pulled a 1904 Indian Head from about 5 inches . . . . . how that had been missed before is a mystery to me but I did toggle over to the other frequencies before recovering it and the 4kHz did give a clearer signal . . . . had not seen that before on other tests so you never know - there was deeper iron in the area which may have been the decieding factor.

The options and versatility offered by the Deus is unique . . . . you get 4 frequencies without having to buy extra coils and as XP adds more features without complexity, it will continue to be a "detector to watch"

Andy

We have a small area which is littered with coke and small stones where my wife recovered two cracking coins. It was actually a railway line at one time. I have searched the area repeatedly on several occasions and signals are sparse but the deus is still pulling up a few more bits of non ferrous each time, who knows maybe another coin soon. Unfortunately the area is closed now until January, crops and shooting parties, but will have to give the 4khz a whirl. However am doing a large roman field tomorrow , much detected, and see if it pulls anything up.