Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One meager find = One major milestone! :bounty: :compass: :whites: :minelab::drinking: :thumbup:

Those of you who have been on this forum a while and who know me, know that my favorite spot to hunt has been at Forest Park here in St. Louis. I had spent many years studying the history of Forest Park and hunting every one of it's nearly 1300 acres. It started one hot August evening in 1987 with a 1914 Wheatie and today I reached my milestone of 20,000 coins from Forest Park on a 1951-D Wheatie.

I've had this milestone in my sights for the past 3 or 4 years. I didn't think I had enough left in my worn out body or that there were enough coins worth digging left out there to reach it. But, I plugged away and kept track of it and finally reached it today.

In 1987, many other detectorists were still hunting out there frequently. I ran into several of them on a regular enough basis to get to know them by name. One by one, over the succeeding years, they vanished until I was the only one left. New detectorists came and went out there. Old-timers returned once in a while for a nice spring day's hunt. I sometimes gave it a break out there, but I always came back and seemed to never miss a beat finding old coins. In the early to mid 1990's, I hunted out there on a daily basis often for 8-10 hours a day. Seldom did I come home without at least a few good finds. I was young and had boundless energy back then. :bouncy:

As the years passed and the good finds piled up, I noticed how it was getting harder and harder to find targets, and to get my body to keep up with the frenetic pace. I started out there with a Bounty Hunter Big Bud and went through a string of different detectors as the years went by - Compass Coin Scanner Pro - White's Spectrum - Minelab Explorer. Every time I got the latest and greatest machine, the finds picked up in quality and quantity. Old spots out there gave up the goodies time and again with each new machine.

Those "good old spots" started to disappear, one by one, due to being hunted out or being bulldozed away during construction projects. I know that you never hunt a site out, but you do reach a point where there simply aren't enough targets left to make detecting worthwhile or enjoyable. Hot summer days and freezing winter days metal detecting are more enjoyable when you are finding things, but when you are chasing after a needle in a haystack, they become brutal! And I won't even go into the 7" deep zinc pennies that are popping up everywhere! :veryangry:

After using my Explorer for a couple years, I hunted less and less out there as I was finding many other sites far and wide that produced better. I would go back out to Forest Park and hunt but the lack of consistent, good finds was a growing disappointment. I had been spoiled by years past, I think. Silver coins were everywhere, then they started getting scarce. Indian cents were everywhere, then they started getting scarce. After it got to be a chore to even come up with a wheatie, I realized that my favorite spot was slowly becoming my nemesis.

I suspect that many long-time detectorists out there can empathize with this. Many of the newer detectorists out there can only listen to stories of the "old days" that I used to enjoy, and wonder at how neat it would have been to make consistent nice finds in quantity and quality. I started telling myself that when I hit the 1,000 silver coin mark out there, that I would give it up and concentrate on other places. But I kept digging silver afterwards and continued on out there. Now, recently, I decided I would tough it out until I reached 20,000 total coins and give up. I didn't like the thought of "giving up", but My health has declined to a point where I can't hunt on many days and even only for a couple hours if I do.

When I hunt out there now, I spend more time looking around at the many productive sites, that were good to me in the past, that I can't get anything more from. I do more reminiscing than hunting anymore out there. I can't help but think that our hobby, as we knew it, is dying out. More and more sites are hunted out or developed into strip malls and condos. More and more anti-detecting laws are passed. I'm far too big and frightening looking to go back to knocking on doors to hunt private yards like I did decades ago. :laugh:

I would say this to you other detectorists out there: If you haven't already, find your "Forest Park". Get to know it's history well and hunt it often with a conscious attention to the history you are recovering and the connections you make with the past in the objects you recover. Even if your special place to hunt isn't a huge park with tens of thousands of targets to dig, it is still your place to spend a nice day, and to get to know it on an intimate level because it will leave a little bit of itself in you, like Forest Park has with me.

This is the only time I ever photographed a crappy looking common wheatie, but when I look at it, I don't see coin #20,000, I see in it the other 19,999 coins that came before it. Thanks for bearing with this long post and Happy Hunting, Mike. *** Check back later on, I'll post a breakdown of the 20,000 coins***

[attachment 241613 19aug12coin20K.JPG]

Recovering 20,000 coins in one park is an amazing accomplishment. Congratulations on hanging in there until you hit your mark. And thanks for setting an example we can all admire and appreciate. HH Randy

Awesome story, thats a lot of coins to pull out of any one given place, very impressive. HH

Congrats on your major milestone Mike. I wanted to let you know that I like your website, the Explorer smartfind screens were very helpful and I enjoyed your stories.

John

Mike, congratulations on finding # 20,000. That number and that fact you kept a running total of those numbers is also impressive. I have heard your an outstanding detectorist so tell us if you have found 20,00 in that park, how many would you say you have found in total.

This is the list of what is included in 20,000 coins from the park:

6 - Large Cents
3 - Flying Eagle Cents
467 - Indian Cents
4,218 - Wheat Cents
6,942 - Memorial Cents
7 - 2 Cent Pieces
1 - Nickel 3 Cent Piece
56 - Shield Nickels
158 - V Nickels
144 - Buffalo Nickels
28 - Silver Warnickels
660 - Jefferson Nickels
1 - Bust Half Dime
7 - Seated Half Dimes
101 - Seated Dimes
238 - Barber Dimes
590 - Mercury Dimes
294 - Silver Roosevelt Dimes
2,905 - Clad Dimes
1 - Seated 20 Cent Piece
9 - Seated Quarters
35 - Barber Quarters
38 - Standing Liberty Quarters
97 - Silver Washington Quarters
2,862 - Clad Quarters
2 - Seated Halves
4 - Barber Halves
11 - Walking Liberty Halves
1 - Franklin Half
11 - Clad Halves
1 - Ike Dollar
10 - Susan B Anthony Dollars
7 - Sacagawea Dollars
2 - worn slick silver dimes
21 - silver foreign coins
62 - other foreign coins

1,480 - Silver Coins
5,153 - non-silver Obsolete Coins
13,305 Clad Coins ($1,126.32 face value)

20,000 Grand total

Also found:

15 Gold Rings
58 Silver Rings
294 Tokens
1,147 Bullets - most of them modern vintage :shocked:

My oldest coin was a Persian silver drachm from 2 BC.
Oldest US Coin - 1828 Large Cent
Most Valuable Coin - 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter grading VF

Congratulations Mike. Not that many people know about how many years you've been embarassing the rest of us...

G..

n/t

The great quality and huge,huge numbers you've pulled from one park are really amazing.You were wise enough to start detecting in the 80's when such feats were possible.There are still public spots you can do pretty well in.I had one NYC park first hit in 2009 that has given me 423 silver coins and my Explorer cronies 100's more.This is a 45 acre park and now it's a challenge to find a silver here.It only took a few guys with Minelabs to clean it out.It will get worse every year until it will take private land to have a great hunt.

After reading this I think I will stick to finding pulltabs. At least they won't run out anytime soon. I wonder if there are rare valuable pulltabs.

20,000 coins..... amazing especially considering its from one park. Those arent your common finds either, some of them are lifetime bucket list coins. Sorry about your health Mike. Hopefully they will come out with a lighter more capable machine soon that will open doors to another 20,000. It was great to read the passion you put into your hunting at the same time sad to hear your take on where our hobby may be headed.

Dew

Congrats Mike. That's quite a haul. I wish I kept track of all the coins I dug over the last 25 years. I only logged in the old ones. I know the feeling. My old faithful park has really stopped producing this year and I just don't know where to hunt any longer. Bad back and the heat limit me to about 4 hours a week now compared to about 20 hours plus a week in my prime !!! Getting old sucks !!!

Incredible post Mike. Your totals are mind blowing. You are truly a living legend and inspiration to many to stick with it. I wish you better health and many more years of this great hobby. JJ

Congrats, Mike, on an amazing career.

A beautifully written and touching post.

Find your "Forest Park" is the best advice you can give someone in this hobby.

My "Forest Park" won't ever touch your numbers, but it's great to have that tried and true special place.

Your Forest Park may be on the downside of its old coin career. But judging by your recent finds post, there's still some life in the old gal yet. I've got a feeling she'll keep giving up until the day you do.

I loved your post, Mike. Very inspiring, and well-written. You ARE a living legend!

I have my own "Forest Park;" it was hammered for years, giving up many silver coins to detectorists long before I ever started the hobby. I have made several very nice finds here in the past year, and while it's now approaching the "needle in a haystack" situation you described, it's still my favorite place to hunt.

Thanks for your post, and I pray that your health holds out to give you many more detecting days in the future!

Steve

Mike,

That is simply amazing! Congratulations! However, having hunted with you a time or two years ago and following your find posts through the years, I am not surprised. I hope your health improves and your hunting continues for many years to come!

Ralph (Sun Ray)

for the first time in 6 years I didn't get there this summer:thumbdown:

I usually like to get there at least twice each season but personal training at the gym has kept me busy.

Hopefully I can get there soon and hit it along with the other "seedy" spot that I found my first bust dime at.

As long as we invite Guvner..at least we will have some type of "trade bait" to use towards the hoodlums and muggers.:biggrin:

Besides I know darn good and well we can both outrun him as short as he is.:smoke:

He might be a little quicker and get the initial jump...but I will trip him if need be and leave him to the wolves:cool: