Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One more reason to dig a TAB

knarfj

Found pictured, 15 gr, .925 bracelet with my F70 while investigating a small trail I hadn't notice before. It was around an inch deep and read as a tab. One scoop of the foot and there it was.:surprised:

Sens. 40, Tones 3H, Disc. 4, Thres. 0, speed, dE.

Thanks for looking! :detecting:

Now aint that something! :clapping: At first glance it looked like gold, and with a pulltab signal, I thought it was, but there is that "925" stamp there on the latch...Nice one there Knarfj! Chains are tough!
Mud

Nice tab wish they made them all like that.:)

Ron in WV

SWEET FIND!

'Nuff said

Wonder why the silver hit that low on the F70? Must be the lack of surface to bounce the signal off of, most of my silver comes in around the dime quarter range. Anyway a wonderful find glad to see that F70 is doing good for you.

thats a nice find i think the reason it rang up as a tab is that its only seeing the clasp or single link at one time and thats a small target hh

Yeah...regarding that low a signal..Few years back I found a nice 925 figuro silver chain with my F70 that rang in like one of those wires off a chain link fence...almost exactly...mid tone, upper 40's on the TID I think...the only reason I stabbed it was on account of it was out in the middle of a football field, a signal that had no business being there! completely out of place!...chains are hard!. Which is good, I bet they each see a few coils before somebody has the time or gumption to take a poke at them..unless they are on the beach or in a totlot, I reckon theres all sorts of them out there in the dirt.
Mud

Ah...memories of former glory! :rofl:

Thanks all for your comments! Now that would have been really something had it been gold.:hot:

Ayeti65 said:
Wonder why the silver hit that low on the F70? Must be the lack of surface to bounce the signal off of, most of my silver comes in around the dime quarter range. Anyway a wonderful find glad to see that F70 is doing good for you.

Strange isn't it Ayeti65. On the way home I had similar thoughts. Hmmmm? That chain was a lot of silver to ID as a tab, maybe something else near by had skewed the signal? Later at home I started messing with it and found it IDs as a tab weather it's bunched up or stretched out lengthwise!? Albeit a long Tab in the later case.:lmfao:

That's one of my favorite things about this hobby, you just never really know what your gonna find regardless of the signal you get.

mudpuppy said:
Yeah...regarding that low a signal..Few years back I found a nice 925 figuro silver chain with my F70 that rang in like one of those wires off a chain link fence...almost exactly...mid tone, upper 40's on the TID I think...the only reason I stabbed it was on account of it was out in the middle of a football field, a signal that had no business being there! completely out of place!...chains are hard!. Which is good, I bet they each see a few coils before somebody has the time or gumption to take a poke at them..unless they are on the beach or in a totlot, I reckon theres all sorts of them out there in the dirt.
Mud

Ah...memories of former glory! :rofl:

Darned if I don't remember similar but iffy signals that seemed somewhat elongated when pinpointed that I've ignored in the past. Guess I'll be retraining my thinking to Possible Gold/Silver Chain! Instead of foil and or can slaw.

HH:detecting:

super find - I had a ring do something like that, it was a good pull tab sound off and I dug because it was right at the beginning of the hunt and I was proving the signal. Turned out to be a ring, 45-47 and only about an inch down along side a paved road in the dirt side trail. Go figure -- I spent the rest of the day digging every tab sound but they all turned out be tabs and a couple of nickels?

Mud, pretty impressive, from a football field?

Discrimination is the devil. Turn it to zero and decide yourself what to dig. Nice find.

[]
whitewill_1 said:
Discrimination is the devil. Turn it to zero and decide yourself what to dig.
That is exactly right. I could not have said it better myself. By using low discrimination, 1 or 2, and hearing the iron/trash tones instead of only the false tones, we are seeing more of the targets we should NOT dig. Is that not a good thing?

I guess it goes to prove those old timers were right -- DIG EVERYTHING -- HEY! Wait a minute, we are the old guys -- ???? I guess I mean the other old guys :poke:

On this topic -- I was out yesterday (sorry, I live in California -- not rubbing it in, really :angel:) it was cold that morning but warmed up and I had to take my coat off, well, anyway, on the way back to the car I am hitting these tab numbers, I dig a couple, then I hit a foil, dig, foil, back swinging, another foil, 21, Aw, :ranting: but I dig it and it is a big fat ring about 2" down. It is about the size of a class ring but it isn't some kind of club ring? And, NO, it is not gold, unless they hide gold under chrome. I wonder if it has something to do with the depth? I know tab slaw will give a different reading depending upon depth. So, where does this leave us on the ID scale? The parks I search have some really trashy areas, I keep finding stuff in those areas but can take the constant pings and buzzes only so long before I head for the woods or the deep, wider fields. I know a lot of you guys are having some pretty bad weather and I do pray you all stay safe and don't mind my poking at you a bit. Peace, Dan

knarfj said:
Thanks all for your comments! Now that would have been really something had it been gold.:hot:

Ayeti65 said:

Strange isn't it Ayeti65. On the way home I had similar thoughts. Hmmmm? That chain was a lot of silver to ID as a tab, maybe something else near by had skewed the signal? Later at home I started messing with it and found it IDs as a tab weather it's bunched up or stretched out lengthwise!? Albeit a long Tab in the later case.:lmfao:

It is because it is a chain and the detector only sees 1 link of the chain, so the detector thinks it is pretty small silver. Just saying if you was to solder all the links together it would hit up in the coin range, I am sure.

I have never tried this but you may want to give it a shot and report back. Put the chain in a ziploc bag with water and put that in front of the detector. Just thinking that may make enough contact between each link that the detector may see it as one.

Ron in WV

Sounds like an interesting experiment. I'll have to give it a try. Water in itself isn't the greatest of conductors but add a little salt and it perks it right up. I'll try it with and without and report back. That is after the ball game of course. :biggrin: [size=x-large]GO SEAHAWKS![/size]

:detecting:

WV62 I gave your suggestion a try and both detectors still read the chain in question as a TAB. Adding salt to the water as i suggested made no noticeable difference either.

Out of curiosity I gathered up four much lighter .925 chains, pictured, and bunched them all together in the sandwich bag as shown. During this test the VDI numbers were very bouncy but all remained in the FOIL range or a little less, on both detectors.

F70= Disc. 1, Speed dE, Thres. 0, Sens. 40, Tones 1F.

F5 = Disc.1, Thres. 0, Sens. 40, Tones d1.

HH:shrug:

Well in my mind I kind thought it may read higher. Nice try I guess now we know. You any good at soldering? :lol:

Ron in WV

Must be a matter of mass to reflect the signal off of, I would have never thought that silver would be in the foil range, but it makes since to me because regardless of the mass in total weight it (they) lack the mass, or surface, as compared to a ring to bounce a signal off of.

Have you tried varying the depth -- I had a heavy man's ring read in the foil range and expected it to be foil but up popped this big ring only about and inch or less. I found later, in and air test that it read in the higher ranges when I moved it further away from the coil. Also, I have notice that that WOWEE sound you get when rolling over a large piece of metal, like a crushed can, just under the surface? Well, I have several bracelets from investigating that weird screeching sound. Things are not always what they seem. Also, square tabs, if really close to the surface, at time, pretend to be nickel, you have to get them in the soil to ID as tab, at least where I hunt.