Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One of my best days detecting...

TokenDigger

Last week I decided to hit an area nearby that is a park and includes an old base ball field. This area has been hit heavily by detectorists in the past but not lately since it has so much trash and isn't in nicest sections of town. Over the last few months they have been redoing the perimeter of the ball field and I found a few Mercs, some Wheats and even an Indian Head or two. I decided to explore the region around the outside of the field where most of the fans would have watched the games. I was using my Sun Ray 12 in. coil and quickly found a wheat cent. About a foot from the wheat cent and at about 2" depth, out popped a 1906 Barber dime. I was fighting trash - mostly pop can ends, crushed bottle caps, etc. I included a picture of a small sample of the trash I dug. The place was littered with junk so I decided to switch to the 8 in. coil. The very next signal, I got a 1904 Barber quarter and undated Standing Liberty quarter in the same hole at about 3 in. depth! I figured it was probably masked by all the trash that bigger coils in the past would go over. Over the course of two more hours of hunting, I found another Barber (very dark 189:geek:, two Mercs (a dark 1920 & 1945) and a silver Roosie bringing my total to seven pieces of silver in about three hours of hunting (as well as a dime trifecta and barely missing another dime trifecta and quarter trifecta). I also found a neat old gold plated cuff link that I saw right on top of the ground. The trick for this site was using the small coil. Another neat thing happened while I was detecting. I got a signal near a piece of cement mixed with some red ceramic tile. I moved this piece of cement and the signal disappeared. Thinking the item producing the signal might have stuck to the cement, I looked it over. In the pictures you can see what it was - a pocket watch was mixed in this conglomeration. Who knows how it got there - maybe it fell out of the workman's pocket. I though this was really cool so I am leaving the piece as is. Needless to say, a couple of friends and I are planning to hit this site heavy once it gets colder and the vegetation starts to die back. We'll be picking up and raking up trash so hopefully we'll find more goodies. (I hope all the pictures make it - this is only the second time I've uploaded photos to this site). HH to all.

n/t

Wow, that's a great day, TokenDigger!! :super:

A barber quarter and an SLQ in the same hole is one exciting dig!

Yep, I would definitely be going back to that spot numerous times with a day like that!

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

:cheers:Nice finds Tokendigger. Those smaller coils really work well in places like yours Good luck next time out

Very nice.Do you have a smaller coil than the 8"?Iwas wondering if the 8 " is better than the 5"?Ihave the 5" and it is slow working because of its size noy including how funny i feel swinging it.It is lighter trhough.Thanks charlie

Thanks for all of your input. The 8" coil is the smallest I have. I think a smaller coil might come in handy in the really trashy areas. There is a lot of area to work. You're right though - the smaller coil is a lot friendlier on the arm. We hope to clean up some spots so we can put on our big coils and get the deep stuff. The other day my friend was working an area and dug a slighter better than pull tab signal and it turned out to be an undated 3 cent silver. Some of the area is eroded and helped to expose some of the coins. We've also taken out a few bags of trash. Will keep you posted on any other good finds. HH