Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One of Those Unusual Signals

I went out yesterday to re-hunt an old home site with my new Explorer SE to see if I had missed anything with my Explorer II. Got an unusual signal under the cloths line. The signal would only sound off in one direction and not at all when I tried moving 90 degrees and swinging again. When it did sound off, the curser was in the dime area on the display. Figured it might be a dime on edge, so I dug it.

Flipped over the cut plug and was now getting signals in the plug and the hole. The signal in the plug turned out to be a badly worn Standing Liberty quarter (date worn off) and I could see a clean coin outline on it. Checked the hole and got a 1944 Wheat cent along with a large, bent iron nail. The nail must have been masking the targets in all but the one direction as I swung over it.

Just goes to show you, when in doubt, dig!

HH
Jeff

I believe it was my first Barber dime...It was only down about two inches & a little bit canted to the side...About a quarter inch above it was a completely rusted out bottle cap (I think) with only a little plastic type liner left intact...I got several types of tones & readouts but managed a couple 00-25...how sweet it was...:clapping:

I also like to dig those iffy tones that sound good and bad and bounce around on the screen. I've pulled out some nice silver mixed in with trash.

HH Randy

The ones that REALLY irritate me are the ones I can't seem to pinpoint because they are too deep with other trash closeby. I would dig them but in a city park (where I usually hunt) the groundskeeper might get ticked...TT

I'm going to have to reconsider those one-way targets. I often pass them by cause they are deep and I hate digging the rusty square nails. I'm going to assume that the signal gave you an iron null in the other directions? That's usually what happens for me and if I dig them it's pretty much a bent nail or iron of some sort.

Standing liberties are great coins. I've only ever found two (dateless also)and often wonder why I haven't found more. Great job sniffing out those keepers!

I run my threshold barely audible. Don't remember if it nulled completely out as I was just looking for a repeatable signal.

I've been detecting for 27 years and have only found six Standing Liberty and six Barber quarters. Most are badly worn like this one but did get a very nice SL 1918-D in 1980 in the front yard of an old country church.

Jeff

If you have your Explorer setup right you can tell the difference between a iron false and a good hit. You'll also start noticing something is not quite right with the audio with an iron false. I have dug some really nice coins that only hit one direction. But, it does take practice. I just dug a 1907 Barber dime yesterday that would only hit from one direction. Good luck.

-Bill