Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One-Room Schoolhouse Sites

miserman

I have been able to hunt several one-room schoolhouse sites this month with the F75 before the farmers started getting into the fields. It's a little early yet for planting but many fields are getting fertilized and they have now become dry enough to start turning the soil. I have been locating the schools on an 1887 map of a county about fifty miles north of me. Each county township had these schoolhouses about every two miles and usually had around twelve schools per township. Many of these former sites are now farm fields and with some map work they can be located. The biggest challenge can be locating the owner and getting permission to hunt them. The one drawback is that the coins are usually in poor shape due to the chemicals that are applied to the soil. These are my field finds for this month and a few silvers have started showing up in the last several hunts...Thanks for looking

Attachments

• 81439D23-5871-4123-B0EC-C39F257BB9B6.jpeg
    81439D23-5871-4123-B0EC-C39F257BB9B6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 121
  • 10DACF14-4A3C-4DDD-89C6-60F8665760D1.jpeg
    10DACF14-4A3C-4DDD-89C6-60F8665760D1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 122
  • CB478F4B-044F-4683-99F5-92F44D5AD00D.jpeg
    CB478F4B-044F-4683-99F5-92F44D5AD00D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
  • 0382EF4B-4E8A-4E5D-A7DE-D98D179D29C7_1_201_a.jpeg
    0382EF4B-4E8A-4E5D-A7DE-D98D179D29C7_1_201_a.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 131
  • 5ECDF102-A74F-4B20-B5DB-41A14D3D41E9.jpeg
    5ECDF102-A74F-4B20-B5DB-41A14D3D41E9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:
That's how you do it. Very nice.

Fantastic hunt! You found some great coins. Too bad they don’t all come out of the ground looking like that seated dime.

Miserman, check with local Prosecutors Office regarding owners. Most jurisdictions allow whomever is farming the land to make access decisions. To find the farmer check with USDA Office for the area. Makes your life a lot easier this way.

Miserman, check with local Prosecutors Office regarding owners. Most jurisdictions allow whomever is farming the land to make access decisions. To find the farmer check with USDA Office for the area. Makes your life a lot easier this way.
Thanks Ronstar. I have an app that will show the land owner name and address. Many of the land owners are out of towners or from out of state. When this is the case I will drive to the site and start asking at the nearby houses. Most people in the area know who farms the field and where they live. The ones that farm it are usually nearby because they have to drive their tractors and combines to the fields. If I have trouble locating the person that farms it,I look for the nearest Farm Co-op and they can be a good source of information. Yes you are right, the person that farms a field can usually give permission. The problem with locating owners this time of year is that if you don't get to the farm early enough, they are already out in the fields somewhere and can be difficult to find. Locating and talking to owners in the winter months is somewhat easier. Thanks for the response.

I don't think the FSA office is allowed to give out names, privacy act.

Land ownership or land management would not be a privacy act point. The Assessors Office would have the info as well. You might not get a phone number but names and addresses are usually accessible at all these agencies.

Land ownership or land management would not be a privacy act point. The Assessors Office would have the info as well. You might not get a phone number but names and addresses are usually accessible at all these agencies.
I have never had much luck phoning a land owner. It's much better to talk to them in person.