Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One silver, one gold

Larbear2

Got out Saturday evening for a little detecting before it got dark. Went down to the local high school and searched some grassy areas that were close to the football field. I saw a ring up ahead of me lying in the grass, swept my coil over it, got a 56, 57 vdi so assumed it was costume. Later on I checked the ring and saw that it was marked 925 Aloha, blue stone of some kind. The vdi seemed kind of low to be a 925 ?

A little later the light was getting dim as I got my coil over a steady 65 vdi. Most zincolns seem to bounce a few numbers most of the time, this was a steady 65, so I decided to dig it. Turned out to be a ring (costume) with a small chain wrapped around it. The chain went through a small charm that has three red stones and a dinky diamond. It is marked 10K. I am wondering why it rang up in the zinc range, I assume the ring brought the vdi up because the ring and the charm were touching when I dug it. A later air test resulted in a 64 vdi.

Got a good amount of clad to go with the jewelry. It turned out to be a better hunt than I thought it would be. F70 with the 8.5x11 coil, 3 disc, DE, 30 sens, 7 thresh, 4H, 1 notch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 233
Wow larbear!!!! Nice finds. Never found silver and gold on the same day. I would call that a perfect day!!! hhrickinm

I run into the same type problems sporadically. A friend said he thinks other metals in the area may affect the VDI if close enough. I err on pulling junk if the signal is strong and clear and hope for the best. Sometimes I notice size of the ring seems to throw those numbers around. Had a zinc penny laying directly on top of a 925 ladies ring (stacked). Was getting zinc numbers with a dime cast off so dug it up, ended up I got both!

I run into the same type problems sporadically. A friend said he thinks other metals in the area may affect the VDI if close enough. I err on pulling junk if the signal is strong and clear and hope for the best. Sometimes I notice size of the ring seems to throw those numbers around. Had a zinc penny laying directly on top of a 925 ladies ring (stacked). Was getting zinc numbers with a dime cast off so dug it up, ended up I got both!

I think you’re right Ronstar. I have noticed that a nickel and a quarter in the same hole will give me a zinc vdi. GL & HH.

Nice jewelry finds, larbear2. They both have character.

That chain looks like gold too. Way to go. Two gold items and a silver ring.

VDI is based upon size and shape....so that little silver wire ring gave a low VDI because of it's size.

Regards the gold...that was just a lucky find. Your detector was only reporting on the costume ring as it was the strongest signal and was most likely masking the pendant. If it had been reporting on both items you would have seen the VDI bouncing and showing TID for both items. Either way... you got gold in the pouch and gold in the pouch is GOOD!

HH
Mike

I agree with Mike regarding both rings. The silver (wire) ring is small and not very dense, hence the lower vdi. Very nice finds and good batch of battery $$. HH jim tn

Nice jewelry finds, larbear2. They both have character.

That chain looks like gold too. Way to go. Two gold items and a silver ring.

VDI is based upon size and shape....so that little silver wire ring gave a low VDI because of it's size.

Regards the gold...that was just a lucky find. Your detector was only reporting on the costume ring as it was the strongest signal and was most likely masking the pendant. If it had been reporting on both items you would have seen the VDI bouncing and showing TID for both items. Either way... you got gold in the pouch and gold in the pouch is GOOD!

HH
Mike

Thanks Mike for the response and explanation, it makes sense to me now. Hope your 2020 detecting is going well and may we all get lucky more often.
GL & HH
Larry

I agree with Mike regarding both rings. The silver (wire) ring is small and not very dense, hence the lower vdi. Very nice finds and good batch of battery $$. HH jim tn

Thanks jim tn, I know more now than I did before. I appreciate the response from both you and Mike.

GL & HH
Larry

Thank you for the pictures!
HH
Mike