Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Only 1 wheatie-1956..No silver but $5 in clad...Park is LOADED with coins...Has anybody ever just got frustrated & dug ONLY....00-29

tomtowns

I'm thinking of doing that the next time I hunt capitol park in Sacramento...there are just too many signals from modern clad & think maybe I should just go in & try cherry picking...I've tried just digging anything over half way down the scale on the depth meter but that just seems to cause me to end up with less loot & not better dates...I only hunt this park on Sundays because parking is free & THE GOVERNATOR is not at work...TT

Nice pictures!

Most of those old parks have had fill brought in so most of the real good stuff is probably deep and hard to get to with all the modern coins and trash sitting on top of them. Try picking the biggest and oldest tree in the park and grid search that baby. Start with a small coil (5" if you got it)with auto sensitivity set at 24, gain at 5, fast on, deep off, and detect in all metal. You have to dig all targets. I mean even all the trash. Your goal is to clean out all the shallow stuff and then start increasing you settings to get deeper. It's better to pick an old tree that is far away from prying eyes because you'll be doing a lot of digging. It's also best to go very early on a Sunday (less people to bother you.) You'll be surprised at what you'll dig up doing this. I've found some nice gold rings, old coins, and tokens with this method. Yes I know it's a lot of work but it will pay off. Make sure you listen well and check the screen on each target. You'll learn a lot doing this.

Another good method is to use lots of discrimination. Select coins only and X out everything else. After you've removed every target you can hear, add pulltabs. After you've dug all the pull tabs you can hear add the jewelry setting, etc, etc, etc.... Just work your way down the list. Sometimes I'll do this until the park starts to get busy and then I'll stop and go somewhere else in the park and detect like I always do, (looking for deep hits only). The next day I'll be back and start where I left off. I'm usually able to work at least 2 hours around a tree before the park starts to get to busy or the maintence people start wandering over. One way to keep the maintenance people from bothering too much is to make sure they see you going out of your way to pickup a piece of trash in the park. They really like that and i've found they become a lot more detector friendly. Just make sure you're as neat as possible and always use a large drop cloth in parks. When you go down the list don't forget iron. Iron is usually the last item I'll try and dig. You mark my words. Using this method will teach you about masking. I remember hitting this tree, I mean I've been hitting this park and around this tree for years, and I was cleaning out all targets. I removed around 4 pulltabs and a crown caps from a very small area about two feet out from the tree. I went to recheck the hole and I got a crappy deeper signal. I reopened the plug and took out about 3 more inches of dirt and when I stuck my X-1 probe into hole I got low iron and a high coin tone. I removed a small rusted bit of iron and when I stuck my probe back in I got a nice soild high tone on one side of the hole. I dug out a nice looking 1916 merc. Too bad it wasn't the one worth a lot money but it could have been. Many times I've been clearing out pulltabs and out pops a nice gold ring. You'll have more days when you'll jsut get clad and trash and no goodies but it's a good learning tool and your old coin count and jewelry count will go up. It beats just wandering around and hoping you'll get lucky.

Sorry the post got too long. I hope I didn't bore you.

New Year Toast for you:

May your Ground Aways be Soft, your Weather Fair, Sounds of Deep Silver, and No Treaspasser's Beware.

HH & Happy New Years!

Randy

My thought on that, Tomtowns, is if you don't dig the bad stuff, you won't be able to see the good stuff underneath.

I know its tough bending & digging things you know are trash or clad, but, I always start digging as much as I can & after I get too tired, then I start cherry picking. I do dig a lot of trash,but I also find a lot of good stuff, too. I can't tell you how many times I've dug trash only to find something good next to or under it after removing the target.

I always recommend using the least amount of disc as possible & digging as much as possible, even the trash. By removing trash, you are helping yourself to find more treasure & doing a good deed at the same time. It doesn't make any sinse to me to dig a target & not even remove it because it was trash. I've seen people do this many times.

I hope this helps
HH

I don't hunt parks but where I hunt 00-29 is usually big copper more than silver.
You might want to invest in a smaller coil if thats the kind of huntng you're going to do.
Good Luck and keep trying.

Thanks for the input, the Park is actually the State Capitol Building & surrounding park area...I only hunt it only on Sundays because of obvious reasons & also don't have to pay the parking meters...I have dug some interesting things there like an old clock's (I think) guts. It has a copper frame with I think brass rivets & gears, it's been soaking for a couple weeks & I'm gradually getting it cleaned up. It was over a foot deep under a LARGE root under a tree...came in at 00-29...I try to make all my digs look as though there was no dig & so far haven't been bothered, Both Police & grounds keepers have seen me & don't seem concerned...But one of these days I'm gonna go there & JUST dig the signals I think are quarters...see what pops up...In any other park I would dig everything & will again in this park but one Sunday I'm gonna do it...Just try cherry picking...oh yeah, I never use Disc....All Metal...Always...TT

May I make just one suggestion? When you dig just 00-29 try digging 3-28 & 4-28. If they lock on.

trying to keep scars to a minimum...this is just going to be a (Maybe) one time...see what happens... type thing. If I was digging dimes too I wouldn't accomplish what I want to try & do...A guy on a bicycle came up & started talking to me yesterday & a half hour later He talked me into showing him how it worked because he simply didn't believe me when I told him that I could probably find a dime within a minute...about 15-20 seconds later I sat down & plucked a coppery colored clad dime out of the ground...like I said this park is LOADED with coins...anyway what I want to see is First, how MUCH $ I can find in say four hrs. or so....Second, I want to see if just digging PRIME signals helps in the silver quarter/half/dollar department...I don't intend on makeing this a habit...It's just something I want to try....TT