Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Onondaga Lake Park finds May 28, 2008

BH-LandStar

Went to Onondaga Lake Park yesterday for about 2 hours...A park that has been there for a LONG time, and gets daily usage...hit 2 of the bark chip tot lots there expecting to haul in some good finds...I only got clad...NO jewelry, NO rings....I mean...what the hay???? I just have no luck at all...I never see any other detectorists out when I am there, but still I find nothing of note....I did have to update my info with the park office, and when they pulled out the stack of papers for all the detectorists who have registered, there were only about 25...Where are these guys??? Why can I never find or contact another detectorist in my area??? Why are none of them on the forums??? Why is there no club/s in my local area??? Seems if there are 25 registered in this park, there must be more in the area...Have they beat me to the good stuff in the park??? Am I doing something wrong in my technique??? it is really starting to annoy me that I cannot find any gold or Silver lately...Anyways...Here is my haul from the trip:

1976 Bicentennial Quarter, 1985P Quarter, 1990P Quarter, 2000 S. Carolina Quarter, 1969D Dime, 1989P Dime, 1990P Dime, 1991P Dime, 1994P Dime, 1996P Dime, 2003P Dime
1964 Cent, 1973 Cent, 1974 Cent, 1976 Cent, 1976 Cent, 1984 Zinc, 1988 Zinc
I have noticed that most of the coins I find around my area came from the Philly Mint...Is this coincidence, or Does that mint service all of the Northeast states???

05-28-08OnonLakePark.jpg

HH,

BH-LandStar

Hi, I worked my back yard this morning. I am getting a lot of the junk out but it still is full of junk. Today I disc out every thing but Pennies on up.; My first find was a 1972 Quarter. My second find was a 1964 penny and the third was a 1984 mangled penny. The rest of the digs were trash. At least I am getting more frequent finds of coins. Take care and things will get better.

Titan Man

Dont worry too much BH-LANDSTAR I've been doing this for awhile myself and have of yet found any jewelry yet. No gold and only a couple silver coins, and a handfull of wheats. But I know in my heart the good hits are coming and will just keep swinging and digging until they do. I pulled $35.14 in clad out of a small park. It took me a while and know there is still keepers plentiful there to get. Only 1 war nickel out of all that. Good things come to good people and it will be our turns soon.I did find a ankle bracelet once, To bad it was aluminum and for a homeing pigion.LOL

hi bhlandstar, first, i want to commend you for a job well done...we all know your're trying hard to make the great finds. i can't begin to tell you how many days i've had like that. when i come up nearly empty handed or with a few clad finds, then it's time for me to move on. finding clad coinage is disapointing to me; i didn't get into this hobby 25 years ago to hunt for clad change. initially, everyone who buys a metal detector has aspirations about what they'd like to find, right? so, i took a good look at myself, and decided that i would no longer go to places i was likely to find clad coins in. i know many coinshooters who leave clad coins in the ground when they find them. through it all, i've noticed something about metal detecting people - there are four types - relic hunters [dig everything] coinshooters [dig everything] and clad hunters[dig everything, but go to the wrong places to get the old stuff, and know it.] and - the armchair munkeys [who try to tell us how and where to detect, but don't detect themselves]. many detectorists are secretive. relic hunters are notorious for it. looking at the degree of tarnish on your clad, somebody else cleaned up there about 6 months ago, and are waiting for it to "fill up" again. they take turns!!! it's just a silly, vicious cycle that the cladhunters do in tot lots and parks. i urge you and all the others too, get away from the newer sites and start hitting the older sites. they're there, bhlandstar, within cycling distance of your house. theyr'e there, i'm telling you! i would suggest going further out in the woods... most detectorists are too dern lazy to walk a half mile to a good spot. you just might be surprised to find an old house foundation in the middle of the woods. it wasn't federal land forever. many state parks weren't started until after the turn of the century! if i were a clad hunter, it would take me 416 years to pay for my machines! no, not my bag. i already know you are a good and capable hunter, i've seen the finds you've made, and respect your opinions. i think your're going to the wrong places for the type of hunting you really want to do. it's up to you, my friend. hh,

Relax mate, the goodies will turn up. HH regards Nugget.:detecting:

After reading your post Ghost, I think I am one of those coin shooters that is going to the wrong places...I live in a good sized City area, so getting to any good wooded area is a trek...Liverpool, NY is close, and also there are parts of the old Erie Canal system that are close enough as well...I plan on getting out to a place called Green Lakes State Park some time this coming month of June. I put my bike on the bus, get off at a local mall, and then bike about 10 miles to the park on part of the Old Erie Canal Tow Path...They charge you 10 bucks a year to detect, and only allow hunting on the Sand beaches (2 of them)...My B'Day is on the First...:clapping: :cheers: the big 43... I DO need to get away from the places I have been hunting...Only Reason I have been hitting Wood's Field hard is the fact that there are 3 ball fields there, and I figured with the players and the crowds, there HAD to be some lost jewelry somewhere...I will have to take your advice and get off the BEATEN PATH...

HH,

BH-LandStar

well happy birthday, bhlandstar! i'm not far behind at 41. yeah, i think if you change the places you go to, you'll soon be digging some old silver and coppers and jewelry! like our good friend nugget just said, the finds will come! hh,

WOW, This must be an age thing. Turned 42 in April.Got 45 minutes hunt time in at a city park this morning on the way to work. First time out with the Land Star. Dug 4 memorial pennies, 2 screw caps, 7 pull tabs, a peice of foil at 7 inches and broke 2 garden shovels. Not too profitable but I loved it anyways.LOL