Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

OOR(RC13) or 5"(RC13E) coil for my Racer 2?

Dave_E

Troll
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a small coil for my Racer2.

Per a rep at metaldetector.com, the only difference between these 2 coils is the physical size difference.

Has anyone done, or know of, a side by side comparison of the RC13 and RC13E to verify?
Do they really achieve the same depth and target separation?
Are the ears the same quality?
Coil cable length and quality the same?

Thanks.

Inquiring minds want to know! I have been wondering the same thing.

What is OOR? Have seen that alot in this forum.
Sorry to bother.

"Out Of Round".
Dimensions are 4.5" x 5"

Dave_E said:
"Out Of Round".
Dimensions are 4.5" x 5"

Well Heck, I did not know that either. I've seen it a lot, I didn't have the fortitude to ask myself, LOL.... Thank you

From what I understand, the RC13e is round and the RC13 is 4.5x5 (OOR). On Monte's recommendation, I got the OOR coil, and it's been awesome.

If you decide on the OOR coil make sure when you remove the cover to clean that when you push it back on pay close attention to lining the cover up with coil. Covers are thin and will split on edge if not lined up with the coil being out of round.

Chuck(NC) said:
If you decide on the OOR coil make sure when you remove the cover to clean that when you push it back on pay close attention to lining the cover up with coil. Covers are thin and will split on edge if not lined up with the coil being out of round.
Yeah no kidding. I split mine already.

Dave_E said:
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a small coil for my Racer2.
Have you made the coil decision yet? I am, and have been since June of '68, partial to smaller-than-standard size search coils for most of the site I hunt because I deal with trash ... dense trash ... with ample iron debris in the mix. I also hunt sites where I deal with building rubble and heavy vegetation so smaller coils work better.

Dave_E said:
Per a rep at metaldetector.com, the only difference between these 2 coils is the physical size difference.
It shouldn't take a rep much to figure that out just by looking at them! The 'OOR' [size=small](a name I started using on the forums to describe the slightly 'Out-Of-Round' search coils years ago)[/size] was listed by Nokta/Makro as measuring 4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size] inches. The other, that they call a 5" DD coil, measures about 5¼" across the center axis of the coil not counting the thin coil cover. It is a round shaped coil

On my Nokta Impact and one of my Relic units I keep a round 5¼" coil mounted for very littered sites, and there is no 'OOR' coil made for them.

On one of my Nokta CoRe units I keep the 'OOR' DD coil mounted full time3. There is no round 5¼" coil made for it.

On the Makro Racer and Racer 2, both sizes are compatible and interchangeable, even though the website only shows an 'OOR' for the Racer accessory and a 5¼" for the Racer 2 accessory small coil. So, with the original Racer or the Racer 2 the consumer has an option. I had BOTH the 'OOR' and 5¼" DD coils ... my preference was the 'OOR'.

Dave_E said:
Has anyone done, or know of, a side by side comparison of the RC13 and RC13E to verify?
Yes, I did a lot of in-the-field comparisons with both of those Racer accessory small coils and compared them along with the CoRe w/'OOR' and Relic w/5¼" and recently with the Impact and 5¼".

Dave_E said:
Do they really achieve the same depth and target separation?
Both coils, on either Racer, will provide depth of detection that is much better than anyone would expect such a smaller-size coil to achieve. 'Depth' however is not a strength we usually expect from a smaller-size coil and, at times, such potential can work against us in some metal contaminated environments. Smaller coils are at their best working in and around metal objects, brush, structures, and isolating smaller-size targets in amongst masking trash.

Both of these coils can provide closely similar in-the-field performance, but depending upon what the particular good-target/bad-target challenge is, one might show and advantage over the other. in a couple of very challenging side-by-side comparisons, the round 5¼" coil had a slight edge in performance over the 'OOR' coil. But overall, I still prefer the 'OOR' coil, and it will have it's strengths shine at times as well.

Dave_E said:
Are the ears the same quality?
I would say so, and I have never had a problem with any of the more recent production Nokta / Makro search coils.

Dave_E said:
Coil cable length and quality the same?
Close enough that I don't bother to measure them.

I will comment on after-market search coils. Personally, I have never really been too impressed with some of the coil offerings made by a non-detector manufacturer and have always favored coils made by the detector manufacturer. That said, if I had either a Racer or the newer Racer 2, and all I had was the standard 7X11 DD and no smaller-size coil, them my choices today would be amongst three coils. The Makro 'OOR' coil, the Makro 5¼" round coil, and the NEL Sharp round coil. I guess I might add the CORS Point which is essentially the same coil from their sister company. I was very impressed with the performance it provided even against the two Makro coils ... most notably on a smaller-than-average size coin challenge on the Nail Board Performance Test. On common US coins I prefer the 'OOR' coil in trashy environments, but a very close 2nd choice would be the 'Sharp' and then the Makro 5¼" DD.

Monte

This was my post from last year.

I ended up purchasing the OOR coil. I love it in trashy spots and have made some nice finds with it in areas I had pounded with the 11". I read how amazing it was, but after using it myself I'm truly convinced.

I have the little OOR, the stock 11", and the large 15" Makro coils.

I've heard the NEL Snake (CORS Shrew) is even better than the OOR and RC13E in both separation and depth.

I have the stock coil, which I seldom use, the OOR coil, which I use extensively in the high iron trash areas around here, and the Cors Fortune, which I really like as well.

Dave, what's your impression of the 15" coil?

little 'OOR' DD coil on your Racer 2.

Yes, the NEL Snake and Sharp / CORS Shrew and Point can work fine, and in some very, very difficult comparisons they might have a very slight edge, but in other scenarios the Makro 'OOR' or 5¼" round DD coils might show off a little. They are all quite close in general, all-around performance. That said, of all six coils just referred to, my personal favorite on any Racer or Racer 2 is the 'OOR' coil.

Keep enjoying the Racer 2/'OOR' team work afield and get out often!

Monte

I hate the weight of the 15" coil, but I shorten the shaft one notch to compensate.

The performance of the big 15" is impressive though.

I detected an 1865 2 cent piece turned up on its edge at 8". I had been over the area many times with the 11" coil and it never saw it.

It's very deep as described, but I'm shocked that it also finds small items at depth. I've always read that large coils lose out on small items.

Not this one.

Again, the only negative I see if the weight. It's a honker.