Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Operating Deus in 6+ Bars on Mineralization Index

flysar

I've used my Deus a little over 8 hrs now and except for shallow (less than 1.5") targets or in park chips I cannot confidently state what I'm digging.
I know my soil is highly mineralized given how few detectors operate well, let alone deep with reliable ID here.
In the chips of 1-2 bars the Deus is great, especially at 18kHz on the small stuff.
In my soil of 6+ bars I have not found the best combination of freq, gb, sens, reac, tones, etc to reliably tell me any more than it's a non-ferrous target. 2-4" nickels give me 20 points of ID separation with nothing else in the hole.
I'd love to talk with someone one the phone regarding operating in similar ground. PM a name & number and I'll call you, forum messaging would be my second choice given my slow typing skills.
Thank you & HH

Hey flysar Have you seen Gary Blackwell's utube on the Gold Field Program where he and a lot of other people had the same problem? The GFP was the only thing that over came horrendous conditions. I've found if you set your IAR# up to 3, it keeps iron tones on the left of the umbrella much better. Of course if your coin hunting where lots of modern trash is a problem you may have to dig a lot or just dig the really deep tones. Hope this helps.

I have not but I'll definitely look at it.
I'm in the N West so we don't have civil war sites, plowed field former home sites, etc so most of our hunting is homes, parks, schools, and that rare torn down home that may be on timber company land. I'm mostly a coin and jewelry hunter that was hoping the Deus' light weight would liberate me from swinging my CTX always hooked to a harness. I've yet to have any aches or pains after swinging the Deus.
Thanks for the tip!

LTimedigger said:
Hey flysar Have you seen Gary Blackwell's utube on the Gold Field Program where he and a lot of other people had the same problem? The GFP was the only thing that over came horrendous conditions. I've found if you set your IAR# up to 3, it keeps iron tones on the left of the umbrella much better. Of course if your coin hunting where lots of modern trash is a problem you may have to dig a lot or just dig the really deep tones. Hope this helps.

I would go with tracking on, full tones, reactivity 3 and 18khz. Learn the tones of full tones and forget the TID. Most of the time I set set it up and leave the remote in the truck and just go off tones.

Tracking GB works well so far, GB numbers don't move much, it's the mineralization index of 6+ bars that reflects the intensity of the mineralization that is creating erratic ID numbers.
In the chips (1-2 bars) and soil (6+ bars) the GB number can be the same. It works well in the chips, solid and deep, but as soon as I step on soil the ID varies as much as 20 on a nickel so full tones mirrors that making erratic tones leaving very little confidence in tone or ID that it is a diggable target. Almost seems like 3 tones (iron, low conductors, high conductors) would be a better route in my bad soil?
I know 8 hrs of coil time isn't much on a new rig so I'll keep reading & swinging! I'm hoping to meet up with another Deus user that lives within a couple hours of me this weekend and see how he's running his Deus.
Thank you for the tips.

Welgund said:
I would go with tracking on, full tones, reactivity 3 and 18khz. Learn the tones of full tones and forget the TID. Most of the time I set set it up and leave the remote in the truck and just go off tones.

Goldfield is a very good program for the site you have described.
You can reject a lot of Iron if you wish by using the IAR feature.
It is essential to get an exact ground balance by using the pin point button as a fast grab.
Personally I like to use a slight background threshold and 3 reactivity.
Good luck it sounds like you have an interesting area for testing.