Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Opinion on performance of my Vaquero?

I recently acquired a used Vaquero, as new. It's the new black one with the 11x8 coil.

I'd like to ask your opinions as to whether I should send it back to be checked out.

With the GB set 1/4 turn negative, sens on 10, threshold at a steady hum (3 o'clock), Disc low as possible, outdoors in a huge field away from EMI sources:

Quarter airtests at 7 inches. A clad dime around 6.5 inches.

A fresh buried nickel at 8 inches:

A faint signal, somewhat repeatable but wouldn't hear it in a real hunting situation

That's not horrible, but I expected it to be a little deeper at least. Especially when my Bandido II uMax with the same 11x8 coil, with the same settings, same place, and same day does the following:

Quarter airtests at 7 inches. Clad dime at 6 inches.

Fresh buried nickle, same as above at 8 inches:

Soft, but very repeatable and no doubt it's a good target. Would hear it no problem in a hunting situation.

With these results considered, would you say I should send it back?

And if I do send it back, do you think they can tweak it to come back deeper? Or will they likely tell me it's fine? I have no reason to keep it over my old Bandido II if the depth is the same, ya know?

My name is on the warranty card, so at least it may be covered for them to check it out.

What do you guys think? Thanks for your opinions.

I had to re-read your post twice...and I still have a question. :)

You're not actually using the same coil on both machines...you're using the same size coil on both?

Because, of course, one's a Delta series, and the other is an Epsilon series...not compatible with each other.

If that's the case (different actual coils), I'd try to find a friend or dealer with another Delta series 11x8 to test the Vaq, just to eliminate the coil.

Because, in all honesty...a Vaq that won't air test a quarter deeper than 7" using the settings you describe is kind of weak.
(unless it's a weak battery, or perhaps some invisible EMI, like your phone)

If it's a bad coil, it's an easy fix...if it's a 'sad' unit, they may or may not be able to improve it much.

Personally, I'd call Prescott up, and see what they say.

Good luck,
mike

trojdor said:
I had to re-read your post twice...and I still have a question. :)

You're not actually using the same coil on both machines...you're using the same size coil on both?

Because, of course, one's a Delta series, and the other is an Epsilon series...not compatible with each other.

If that's the case (different actual coils), I'd try to find a friend or dealer with another Delta series 11x8 to test the Vaq, just to eliminate the coil.

Because, in all honesty...a Vaq that won't air test a quarter deeper than 7" using the settings you describe is kind of weak.
(unless it's a weak battery, or perhaps some invisible EMI, like your phone)

If it's a bad coil, it's an easy fix...if it's a 'sad' unit, they may or may not be able to improve it much.

Personally, I'd call Prescott up, and see what they say.

Good luck,
mike

Thanks Mike!

Yes they are the same SIZE coil, not the exact same coil.

For what it's worth, I also have the 5.75 Concentric for the Vaq. I tried it too and the results were also fairly pitiful. Even considering its a smaller coil.

Both units had a fresh battery, and I don't think there was an EMI issue. I tried airtests again at home in the yard, with my phone inside and the results were identical.

I've had this old Bandido for quite a while, so I can kinda tell when something is throwing it off. The airtest and performance it was showing that day is pretty typical of what it usually does. I was just expecting the Vaq to be a fair bit deeper, especially when I compare what my Vaq is doing to what others show and claim that there's is doing.

I'm just afraid if I send it in it will still come back a dud. But I'll call Tesoro and see what they suggest. I just hope they don't think I'm a misinformed first time user expecting a magic wand. I just want my Vaq to work like everybody else's.

I really hate to sell it on to someone else. I'd have to state the poor performance and lose my a$$ on my purchase price. :(

not all Tesoro's are created equal use the GB to get the best depth 1/4 turn on one is not the same as the other Tesoro's are made to fiddle with , so go fiddle. :bouncy:

AJ

i would give tesoro a call. i got better than that with my older vaq with 8x9 airtesting with neutral GB, thres. at 2 o'clock, sense on 10. bought the 8x11 a few weeks ago, it was still cold out. i just hooked it up and air tested and it was disappointing. but once it was balanced, was better but not outstanding. you have to take some things posted on here and videos with a grain of salt. i think some get a bit carried away with their claims. anyhow, good luck with it.

When I had a Vaquero, I noticed that once the sens. was turned up past 10 into the red boost zone, it was like flipping on the nitrous oxide in a car. It boosted big time and made it a different detector, you couldn't hunt with it this hot but it gave outrageous air test numbers.

Thanks guys. I'll call Tesoro and see what's up. Maybe they can tell me if I have the hottest Bandido II out there, or the coldest Vaquero ever lol!

The Vaquero I had, when maxed out the sensitivity would air test a dime at 9" and a quarter at more than that I just can't remember the exact number on a quarter.

amberjack said:
not all Tesoro's are created equal use the GB to get the best depth 1/4 turn on one is not the same as the other Tesoro's are made to fiddle with , so go fiddle. :bouncy:

AJ

Do you find that the difference between models is a factor of them being analog, or does the same phenomenon exist with digital detectors? That's one thing that scares me about Tesoros--the wildly different results from the same models. I had a Vaq in the past, and its depth was I'd say average to poor, despite all the ground balancing and sensitivity combinations I could think of. Which is why I got rid of it. But I hear so many people raving about the depth of the Vaq, I have to wonder.

I'm not sure what the ground balance knob in a certain position has to do with...anything. If you have properly ground balanced your machine, and that's the position of the knob, so be it. If you have just arbitrarily set the knob i9n that position, then the machine may not be properly ground balanced. I'm not trying to be silly or offensive, I just dont know how much experience you have with ground balancing a Tesoro. I dont have a Vaquero, so I can comment on any other aspects. Hope you get it sorted out. HH

Furious T said:
I'm not sure what the ground balance knob in a certain position has to do with...anything. If you have properly ground balanced your machine, and that's the position of the knob, so be it. If you have just arbitrarily set the knob i9n that position, then the machine may not be properly ground balanced. I'm not trying to be silly or offensive, I just dont know how much experience you have with ground balancing a Tesoro. I dont have a Vaquero, so I can comment on any other aspects. Hope you get it sorted out. HH

I have a good bit of time and experience ground balancing Tesoros. I've had several. I ground balanced the machines to neutral in the All Metal mode, and then turned the GB knob negative about 1/4 turn. Then switched back to Disc mode. This has increased the depth quite a bit on the machines I've had, and even some digital machines. I believe it is referred to as "GB offset" or something along those lines.

Either way, balanced neutral or negative, or even in AM mode, it's not much different.

digital detectors I have used are much more forgiving , Tesoro's are Tesoro's and yes GB is GB but each detector I have used has that spot where all the planets align and it just sings, having said that I can run it way out of wack to knock out stuff I don't want to hit if chasing say zinc knock out the aluminium to some degree.

anyway we all do this stuff how we do it I am no expert I just do what works for me :biggrin:

AJ

was out today in an old farm field with a vaq, 8x11 coil. did get an ox shoe that was on end at i'd say 14 inches down. my small shovel blade is 8 inches, it was about twice that deep. neutral gb, thres at a bit above 2 o'clock and sense at 10 or a wee bit more. solid hits both ways.

amberjack said:
digital detectors I have used are much more forgiving , Tesoro's are Tesoro's and yes GB is GB but each detector I have used has that spot where all the planets align and it just sings, having said that I can run it way out of wack to knock out stuff I don't want to hit if chasing say zinc knock out the aluminium to some degree.

anyway we all do this stuff how we do it I am no expert I just do what works for me :biggrin:

AJ

I hear ya man, I can agree with that! Thanks for the advice!

For what it's worth, I've found my Vaq gains a significant extra bit of depth when the sens is set into the red zone, neutral ground balance, iron disced.
BB

Any tesoro that I've had or do have which has true all metal mode gives me better response and depth in all metal than disc mode....if you are finding no difference, then something could be wrong (with something).

Called Tesoro today and had a lengthy chat with Rusty about my Vaquero and early Ford Broncos, lol.

He said he felt that something was definitely not right with my machine, and suggested I send it in with both coils for them to check out. He confirmed that under whatever circumstances other than serious EMI it should be getting much better depth, whether air testing or in ground testing. Especially since the Bandido II was doing better on the same target with the same size coil. Said it wouldn't cost me any more than the shipping to them, for whatever it needed, since I was sending in my warranty card with it.

Hopefully it will come back hotter than a firecracker. I have my doubts, but I sure hope it gets fixed. I couldn't ask for better customer service, though. Talked to two people and they were super friendly and seemed genuinely interested to help.

l just checked my vaquero , a dime air tested at 9" and quarter at 11". l have read a lot about this machine before l purchased mine used and kinda think that some Vaqueros are a little "hotter" than others. Maybe because they are analog? That's just a guess.

Boris said:
l just checked my vaquero , a dime air tested at 9" and quarter at 11". l have read a lot about this machine before l purchased mine used and kinda think that some Vaqueros are a little "hotter" than others. Maybe because they are analog? That's just a guess.

I tend to agree with your thinking. Some are "hot" and some aren't. Mine was definitely a "cold" one if that holds true. I hope mine is busted in that case LOL

for those that were interested , I have mild ground so I balance my Tesoro's to the big silver ring , try this at home if you will :biggrin: but an out of balance Tesoro the 1st thing that goes is silver starting at big and working down.

the video shows a in house emi + test if I do this test outside and get it tuned just right looking at 20+ " with that coil.

what I am saying is have a fiddle take some time to get to know your detector its not called air testing its called bench testing its an important thing to get the most out of your machine.

and yes I talk funny but I am just the messenger :biggrin: its your detector not mine :thumbup:

AJ

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSPp0Z4asj8[/video]