Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Optimal Land Settings

Hi Folks,

I've been using the Sovereign line of detectors since the Elite series and am currently swinging a GT. I've made a lot of great finds with and truly believe it's one of if not the best detector out there. Definitely underrated by some.
I tend to hunt in DISC with that being turned down and notching o=on the lowest setting. This seems to yield some very good depth but I was curious as to what you land hunters thought of hunting in "all metal" and if you felt you obtained more depth out of your coil.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Agile

For me I find I can do better in disc than all metal and by going slower and listening close to those weak signals that may only change the tones a bit. My disc is at 0 or maybe the highest at around the 10 o'clock position and use no notch with the sensitivity set at around the 10 o'clock position also. When I switch to all metal to try to pinpoint it better I don't seem to get any kind of signal and have to go back to disc to get a idea of where the coin is before i dig. Maybe it has something to do with my bad hearing, but can hear the tones changing more than the single tone in all metal.

Now I know some swear by all metal and then get a signal and switch to disc to check it out, to me I would be wearing out the switch with all the metal in the ground around here and find if it is nulling too much I know I am going too fast for the area.

The Sovereign is a awesome detector and feel the GT is the best of the Sovereign as you are seeing I am sure.

Rick

I too hunt in disc only.. never had any luck in all metal and some of the places I hunt the keeper to crap ratio is like 1000 to 1...so it just dont seem practical..some
one once asked why would you buy the best discriminating machine made and then hunt in all metal? I usually keep disc at 0, volume 3/4, sensetivity straight up 12 oclock or somewhere there abouts...iron mask on, and alternate between band 1 and band 2 ... works for me but I dont claim to an expert.. best way to learn is if you can keep going back to a place you have hunted many times and still pull a good find out from time to time just by tinkering with the settings ...

I'm another Sovereign user who searches with the discrimination and notch knobs set at zero.Like Rick the discrimination mode seems to give me more depth than all metal mode.Even when I switch to the S-1 probe 99.9 percent of the time will keep my Sovereign in the Disc. mode.With a remote trigger rigged I'm going to use all metal mode more for pin pointing before cutting a flap or plug.Used my Explorer SE today and would have to say my Sovereign is a lot easier on my arm and pin points better. Hope this helps Ron

Thanks so much everyone I appreciate it. I tried taking a spin in all metal but I just can't imagine it yielding anymore depth from the machine, it's already a very deep seeking device.
The GT is definitely one heck of a machine. Being that it's discontinued now I wonder if a new Sovereign is on its way....hmmmmm:)

Id think you may be able to better air test using the inline probe for checking depth than say the standard coil.

Dew

I don't know if my settings are optimal but I run in Discriminate. Notch zero. Disc Zero. Volume nearly full. (I control Volume with the settings on my headphones) Sensitivity set at the maximum that the ground conditions will allow. I set it to where at my swing speed I don't get very much falsing. If it goes to falsing I cut the sensitivity down. That is what works for me.