Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ordered a X-terra 705

txop

I just ordered me a X-terra 705 from a forum sponsor, Big Boys Hobbies. Bart is a great guy to deal with. I ordered it today and it will be here tomorrow.

Minelab just dropped these by $100 so it's really a good deal. I assume they are probably phasing them out.

This will make detector number 6. My wife detects also so I explained to her that we needed an even number of machines. Not sure what I will tell her next time :)

I am hoping it works as good as I think it will. I did a lot of research and for what and how I hunt it will be perfect.

I did order the Gold Pack with the 5x10 DD coil. I want to get a small 7.5khz coil also so thinking about the concentric one. Would appreciate any advise on what coils work best for hunting schools and old house lots.

Harold in Texas

i bought the same package about 2 years ago, shortly after i bought the 7.5khz DD 10.5" coil. you should seriously consider this coil instead of a small concentric. maybe some of the other guys could chime in, but in my experience the DD 10.5" in 7.5khz has great separation for it's size and also rock solid ID stability on coins. i've got the 18.75khz oval (gold pack), the 3khz Digger (6"DD) and the 10.5 DD 7.5 khz.

if i had to choose only one to keep, it would be the 10.5" DD 7.5khz without hesitation. check it out before spending more money, it was the best thing i bought after buying the 705 to search the type of areas you mentioned. one other note, when you hit a 32-36 ID and figure it's just another penny, you better dig it, that's where i've found most of my silver rings except the huge ones that hit 42+ ID.

just my 2 cents worth,

mike in northern oklahoma

Great choice. I have to agree with Mike about the 10.5 coil. The 5x10 you have is like a small coil and has the depth of a small coil. The 10.5 goes deep and separates well too. All minelab coils have there place. I have 9 coils for mine. And like them all for certain things. The 5x10 is one of the few I sold. Not that I didn't like it but I have a 6inch 18.75khz that I just likes better and they got about the same depth.

Well for now I will try the 5x10 it came with. I did order a 6" 7.5 coil off Amazon. For some reason they had it mark $71. As soon as I bought it they raised the price to $106. Amazon is funny like that.

I just got the detector together and it's going to take some reading and watching a few videos. Like any detector you have to learn how the menus and buttons work. I also have an Explorer SE pro and know it inside and out. Had back surgery 3 months ago and my back can't take much. The X-terra is very light. The only other light detector I have is a Shadow X2 but it's just a beeper.

I have a lot of electrical interference here at my house. It kill's all my detectors except my wife's Whites Classic ID. For some reason it can take the interference. All my other detectors are real noisy. Not sure how the X-terra will do.

Well, I am off to read the manual to see if I can figure this thing out.

Harold

Download Randy's book. It far surpasses what you'll learn from the manual, and it's FREE!

And WELCOME to the Xterra family! I have an Explorer SE as well, but my 705 is still my "go-to" machine.

Thanks for the welcome. The forum seems kind of quiet but I guess the machine has been around a while.

Thanks for the info on the 10.5. I'll probably go ahead and order one. I llike to have my coils on their own rods but the lower rods sure are pricey. Are there any alternatives?

I did download Randy's manual but for now I am going to read the owners manual from cover to cover. I tried to just pick up the detector and the menu system seems really foreign to me. No way around it other than reading the manual.

I did cut 6 inches off the stock lower rod. It was just to long for me. Back to my reading.....

Man I think you're really going to like the 705. I too use my 10.5" quite a bit, but I also like the 6" Digger in really trashy spots.
I've used many types of detectors over the years. The 705 has been one of my favorites.

The xterra series is one of the most resilient detectors out there when it comes to Emi. The processing is done in the coil, then sent to the meter. This keeps the detector very quiet. Your can really crank up the power in most places. In fact, I have had to check if it was on a few times in open fields with few targets. Great machine!

Hey Bill,

What bike do you ride? I have an 2011 Street Glide right now. I only need 5 more states to have traveled the lower 48.

I can't wait to get out this weekend and try the X-Terra. I took out a loan today and ordered 2 lower rods with the hardware. Had no idea a lower rod could cost so much but gotta have them. I ordered an extra one for when I get the 10.5" DD. That seems to be the go to coil. I bought the Gold Pack because I wanted the higher frequency coil. I have the 5" 7.5 concentric so the 10.5 inch 7.5 DD will probably be in the near future.

Txop,
I ride a 2007 Electra glide. This year was not a good year for riding, my wife developed Menier's disease that hit her hard on a ride last November and I had rotator cuff surgery. I don't think I put 40 miles on this season. Hopefully 2018 will be better. We live in Washington. We like to ride to Sturgis then pick a direction when the week is up and spend another week or two just riding somewhere, anywhere. A few years back I bought a Leesurelite popup tent trailer that we tow behind the bike. It takes me about 3 minutes to set up camp and no more sleeping on the ground. I got so tired of not being able to find a hotel room or paying what they want.
The rotator cuff surgery put a big damper on my detecting this year also. Every time I look around I see some place I'd like to hit.
I don't how long you've been hunting but learn that 705 and I think you'll be more than happy. Sometimes I get into a bad habit of just listening for high tones and certain numbers. I'm sure it limits my finds but time is at a premium and I live to hunt for old coins the most so it's a form of cherry picking for me.
Happy hunting and ride safe!

Bill,

I have been hunting on and off for about 20 years. The wife and I basically hunt school yards and parks. I also like to do competition hunts with the local clubs. I played in the back yard a little today and I finally figured out this is a slow swinging machine like my Explorer SE. I have been using my MXT lately and you can swing it pretty fast. I have way too many detectors and I plan on sticking with the 705 for now. I finished reading the operating manual from cover to cover and now I at least know what button does what.

Sorry to hear about you wife and your surgery. We both turned 64 this year and are falling apart. In July I had back surgery and it didn't work. In fact I am worse. I can only stand up for about 10 minutes at a time. After than my left leg is hurting so bad I have to sit. I do fine riding the bike because I am sitting down. Then 3 weeks ago my wife had back surgery but hers worked fine. I have an appointment to see another surgeon soon.

As far as the detectors go we use to find more cool things with the Shadow X2's that are just beepers. It is real easy to start using too discrimination. I am going to try and get away from that and dig more but first I got to get where I can stand up longer. The good thing is after sitting a minute or two I am good for another 10 minutes :) I am planning on getting out this weekend if it doesn't rain too much. I am in Dallas, Tx and they are forecasting rain all weekend.

Hopefully I can post some finds soon.

Harold

Hi Harold,
I started hunting in '72-73 with a box on a stick. You dug everything. Oh the finds back then, what a blast.
I feel for ya buddy. Hope you are able to get some relief. We aren't too far apart in age, I'm 62. I don't think I'll be retiring anytime real soon but who knows. I work for the city and we have a fine retirement plus deferred Comp, it's just that with the current political climate I don't see myself being in that position for a while. Sure would like to before I get where I can't ride as much or go detecting like I like to do. Unfortunately my wife isn't so much into detecting like I am. I might have to plant a nice ring for her to find. That'll do it!
You probably have one but, a few years back I bought a backrest that fits in the slot of the seat. Wow, what difference.

7centsworth,

That's a lot of coils. I did go ahead and buy the 10.5 inch 7.5 coil. I haven't hunted with it yet. I did hunt with the 5x10 over the weekend and it worked well for me. I have to learn how to pin-point a little better with the DD coils.

So, do you have a lower rod for each coil? That is how I set mine up. I doubt I will have more than a few coils. I was almost thinking about getting a middle rod for the coils also to make for quick switching. Probably an overkill.

I have I think 3 lower rods. I haven't got to detect much the last year and a half though. I have a 19 month old boy and me being 40 he keeps me super busy. I have minelab, coiltek and another brand coils. They all have there place. I'm glad the 5x10 works for you. I'm looking forward to seeing your finds with it.