Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ordinary clump of rocks on beach

Muriatic acid (for swimming pools)

Get a glass bowl half fill with water.

Then pour acid into water ( only pour acid in to water never the other way)

Oh yeah wear goggles and rubber gloves and no open toed shoes. Do this outdoors.

Slide the clump in and stand back.

Give it a couple of hours.

Neutralize with baking soda and flush.

BE CAREFUL.

Let us know what it is!!!!

x-ray it! some places will scan it for you and you could see whats inside.

Nodules form around all kinds of stuff. I remember one that looked like that with a few links of a gold chain sticking out. Never saw the results of what he did with it.
It came from a NJ beach after a storm.

Looks like it may have some rusted iron in there based on the color. On many detectors, rusted iron can ID like silver.

Could be what is often called a "hot rock", i.e. a rock with natural minerals in it which cause a response from a metal detector, but contains nothing of value. I guess you could find out by trying the acid thing, or by using a small sledgehammer. Either way, use protective gear.

Before the dangerous chemistry game just look at it. I am fooled by deep iron all too often with one of my detectors and I bet that is what is in your hand.

I found a clump like that last summer. I took my pin pointer and zero in on the targets then used a dremel tool to expose parts of the coins. I now have them in my display case.