Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Out of the Hobby

Dahut,,, I remember yapping with you last year and the maybe the year previous on here. I can't believe you are quitting. I can understand a break. I have done that many times,,but for me ,,,No reason behind it.

Sounds like you might have ticked the police off a bit. You might not like it but they don't like to be told or asked things like . "I'm on private/public property",, or " I'm a tax payer" (body language also) Or if you just start asking questions of them and constantly talking!! They take that confrontational. I have had the police come up to me several times and they left many openings during conversation for me to open my mouth and say some things like that.
But I did not ,,,,and after a bit they changed there "attitude" and mellowed out. And actually were pretty cool about it.

For you this may not be the case and maybe you were doomed from the start. Only you know.

They cannot stop you from Private property if you have permission or from some other public places that you have permission. Schools are over rated anyhow.

Yeah I get where you are coming from - I'm careful about my responses and comments. I'm actually very diplomatic, it doesn't come out as it reads here.
By the same token, I don't kiss their @ss. They're cops, but I'm not in the wrong.
I know a lot of people around this town and as it so happens, some of the cops. My brother is a cop, now retired. I get it. Really, I do.
The last time it was a cop I KNEW. I called her by name, in fact, because I've known her for years. The result was the same.

Ive not been rousted every time I meet a cop, mind you. More often than not, I've come out alright. My cards say, "FREE to LAW ENFORCEMENT" and they like that
But it has happened with increasing frequency that detectorists are challenged. It isnt just me - the local club reports it happens to everyone.
It is a sign of the times, thats all. It is all over the country. If it hasnt happened to you - it will.

I push them down pretty far and I keep count of how many I've planted. Been lucky! And...I'm not going DEEP! I'm mostly cherry picking.

this was one of the 1st parks I detected and found my 1st ring with 6 diamonds and 2 cheapos and then a cop drove up and said I couldn't use a metal detector there. I said, "why is that...I didn't see anything posted...I'm new at this so is there a law that I'm not familiar with?" I wasn't impolite but wanted to know. He said that someone had called and complained that I was making huge holes. I said that I had been there all morning...could he see any holes? He said no but...this person was just going to call again, and again, and again, etc so it was just easier to have me leave. It irritated me so I never went back until now. I also know that if a cop could "find something" to arrest you (even if he knows it's not right) for if you were too confrontational Somehow I feel that there's more rings there...and I'm STILL leaving NO TRACE!

Using those golf tees is a great idea. When you're dealing with the local police and the public, you run into the herd mentality sometimes. People who are new to the hobby of metal detecting do dig large holes sometimes and it reflects on all of us in this hobby.
These forums have really helped me with my recovery techniques. When I first started out, I mostly detected on my own property and now that I can pop a coin out without leaving any trace, I go to more public areas. I also used to love to fish, but haven't been in about 20 years and loved bike riding, but the knees are shot and nobody respects a bicyclist in the south. Might as well paint a bullseye on your back. Good luck and hope you get back to metal detecting soon.