Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Out to Lake Michigan today with the O85 for a beach hunt

Jackpine Savage

There is still a lot of ice piled up against the shore, should have taken a camera. Most of the beach has had the snow melted off and despite the near zero temps the last two nights todays sun melted any frost in the sand allowing easy digging.

I was primarily interested in how the D2 would compare against all metal so those were the only 2 modes I used today. Started off with GB at 83 and no Fe bars showing so felt the D2 mode should do well and it did. This beach gets hit a lot so the only targets left are down in the rocks beneath 6-10" of sand. Last falls storms took out some sand leaving areas where targets were previously unreachable. After getting my settings dialed in I found I could run the gain up to 95 with no problems. Had to hit PP a few times to retune and settle down and or restore the threshold, no big deal there. One thing I noticed is that the setting for a just audible threshold tends to change with the gain setting, in other words at gain 70 I could get a threshold tone at 0 or 1 most of the time, crank it up to 95 and the threshold setting has to be raised to 3. Could be an artifact of the ground or I was not quite doing something right and need more use to get familiar with the gain threshold setting.

In disc I tried 1 tone and 2 tone. 1 tone with disc dialed in at 20 to silence a nail. In 2 tones I ran disc at zero to hear the iron. In both cases Iron volume at -5 worked fine. Now this is what I found in disc with the gain set high at 95 using the D2 mode, deep nails from the campfires that were allowed many years ago caused one way high falsing. I checked a lot of those and soon found there were easy to ignore as true non ferrous signals only bounce to iron on a co-locate situation and the numbers do not vary as much. In no case did the iron fool me with a solid diggable high coin reading. Well there were a few you all know those exremely deep ones that I dug just to be sure but giving up after a foot and a half of sand on the pile and no Tonka toy truck coming up. lol

Here is what really surprised me when comparing D2 to all metal. On many of the fainter all metal signals where there was no ID on the upper speedometer dial, when doing a quick switch to Disc mode it would hear the target and read it as iron. I don't know if the All metal mode uses the disc mode for target ID. if it does they ain't communicating. Since almost all of the fainter audible threshold changes could be read in disc I decided to stick with disc after doing the comparisons. Now that's not counting the really faint threshold changes that a trained ear would pick up.

Target ID's were jumpy on most targets but I feel that was due to the depth and the fact that all targets were down in the gravels which I know from past experience have that effect on signals. Nickels were especially so going from mid 40's to 60 if i recall correctly.

The sand on these beaches allows very good depth with all of the better mid-range machines I have used there and the Omega was no exception.

Tom