Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Outer Banks Hunting

boog

Hello everyone--Did not realize there was a Christian site--what a great idea! Have been hunting from Corolla down to South Nags Head for a week and a half now. Cleanest beach I have ever worked. 3 and a half dollars and one key. Using e trac and excal II. Some junk ----fewer coins. Pulling a few tabs up at 8 inches plus so I know my detectors are working. Seems like a lot of new sand. Would like to hunt a sound side beach on Roanoke Island or Manteo area---where I can find something (clad ok ). Hunted 4 hours Monday and found 1 penny, 2 pull tabs, 2 pieces of melted aluminum, and a divers mask that washed up in the surf. But it was a gorgeous day--Any help appreciated. Thank You, Joel

Welcome Joe to the CMD Forum, we are glad to have you posting with us! We are all brothers and sisters here and love the Lord! Can't help you with the areas you requested, as I live in MO and have only hunted in Florida, years ago, and here in my areas! May God Bless you to find many coins, relics and much treasure to fill a pirate's chest! :biggrin: Amen! :angel: Ma Betty

Hi Joel - good to see ya here. Living in the desert I have no tips for you. We spent a week at Nag's Head one time, neat place. Good luck, Steve in so az

Can't help you much here. I know some of the surf and sand forums might be better. Hope to see you here again.
God bless.

I know beaches are constantly replenishing themselves. Look for the flotsam, I think that's the right term, it's where the surf makes a visible line of surf wash deposits, or a trash line if you will. Also look for natural indentations on the beaches as items will be deposited by the surf and can't get out. Charles Garrett writes a good book on surf hunting that I read. It goes into detail on hunting different terrains. I think its called "Modern metal detectors". Items on beaches will actually work their way up instead of getting deeper I read. Also items will be deposited from the land side of beaches as well. These areas can usually be seen after a storm from a natural drain off of fresh water rain. But you have to get there before they grade the beaches to know where they are. Just an example of how currents work in our oceans. Years ago An F14 Tomcat was lost on the west side of the Florida Peninsula in the Gulf of Mexico. After an extensive search, the pilot or aircraft could be located, but I think the RIO was. Years later an F14 tail section was located and confirmed to be part of the missing aircraft. They knew this, as the numbers on the vertical stabs were of the missing jet. The interesting thing is that it was located off the coast of Ireland! Having said that, it is easy to see that anything could turn up on any beach. I hope this helps.

Tried again today and found 1 nickel and one zinc. Too much new sand. I talked to a fellow who was down here last year at this time and he said that there was a lot less sand due to storms etc..Soda Pop Pirates (a group of metal detecting enthusiasts in the outer banks) talked about how the beach erodes from Oct thru March---which opens up older targets---then rebuilds from April on. Will be down for a week in January to test that hypothesis. Wonderful just to be out and enjoy what the Lord has provided for us. THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES---JOEL

Thank you for your update and hope all goes well and you find some nice old goodies when you do get to go there and detect in January or whenever! Hope the hypothesis works out for you and you get the hidden treasure! May God Bless! Amen! :angel: Ma Betty

Some gent from England posted me a reply to "never give up"------So tomorrow (last full day here) I am driving up to Kitty Hawk to start my hunt at 7 am----low tide at 9 am---finish whenever----Hopefully the surf will be easy to hunt in--going to use my excal II and only hunt in the water or waters edge---Will post results tomorrow or Sunday. In his name--Joel

No, never give up on Jesus nor detecting, although we can get discouraged with both sometimes, we must keep trusting in our Lord and keep on with the hobby of :detecting: when it is a joy unto those who do like it! May God Bless! AMen! :angel: Ma Betty

Well I must admit defeat. Todays hunt yielded 5 zincs, 2 pieces of melted aluminum, 5 bottle caps, and 3 pull tabs. Beautiful day out though. Will post as I get time on some hunting back home---Joel

Look forward to your posting pics of finds from your home and surrounding areas! May God Bless you with many nice goodies of coins, jewelry and relics! Amen! :angel: Ma Betty