Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Outlaw Retune

pablo61

What is the proper way to Retune the Outlaw in AM or Disc. Mode?

My Outlaw seems to work fine in Disc. Mode but when I try to pinpoint, in AM, with the Retune button I seem to lose the target completely, at times. Not sure what's up?? In AM Auto it always seems to work fine with the Retune button.

Ok. So in disc mode the button will either put you in no motion all metal by pushing half way or retune motion required all metal by pushing all the way. Essentially pushing all the way is like any other Tesoro pinpoint button. I should also say that if it's not a big target just x-ing the target at 90 degrees from each other especially with the donut will pinpoint really well. Just short swings when you get a beep both ways it's center. Then put the coil down and rotate 90 degrees and do the same thing. When you get a beep both ways when sweeping small that's where the target is. Any Tesoro without the pinpoint button uses this method. But some prefer to use it. You can get the same thing as pushing the button to pinpoint by flipping switch to "auto" which is self retune all metal.

The button does something different in "all metal". This is no motion all metal.
Set your threshold in this mode to a slight audible hum. So when you are over a target it will give a constant beep. But you will notice that if you take a coin and start from outside the coil and move in that as soon or just before the coin reaches the coil, it will sound off and stay sounding off all the way until you make it past the other side of the coil.
Now do this again but when in the middle of the coilpush in and release the retune button and you'll notice the machine goes quiet. Now move the coin back to the outside of the coil and repeat going all the way across the coil. You will notice that the machine only sounds off when the coin is about on the inside of the circle in the middle of the 8" coil and stops once you pass the inside circle. This is called super pinpointing.
Before you start to hunt your next target you need to stay in that mode and hold the coil in the air and press the retune button again and the threshold sound will come back and the machine is back where it was when you started.

Try this as a bench test at home first. Also try the disc mode and pressing the button in half way to no motion all metal, then push it all the way for normal retune all metal. Retune all metal will sound off when you pass the target over the coil then retune itself back to the threshold hum.

All of this is in the manual by the way. Definitely recommend you read the whole thing. Maybe a couple times.

It takes practice but it's a really cool feature of the detector.

Hope this helps!!

push the red button all the way in while coil is in the air , I don't use the red button but it will lose small targets when pinpointing if you push the button more than once you would then need to reset it , its just like the garrett carrot , keep pushing to zero in on a target but it can also lose the target so reset and start again.

AJ

P.s. you don't need to push the button in "auto" the detector retunes itself.

And again when in all metal (not auto retune all metal) you have to re push the retune button with the coil either in the air if out hunting or if at home, when there's no target under the coil to reset it.

Thanks for the information. I have the Outlaw figured out at home. It's when I use it outside, I seem to lose targets in All Metal, not sure what I am doing wrong. I don't have this issue in All Metal Auto. Not sure if I'm detuning the target out?? It just happens with the Red Button.

:lmfao: yeah don't touch the red button :unsure:

I don't like the am switch in the middle its way to slow try using it in auto might work better....???? not my 1st choice as a am detector but sure it works or it wouldn't be there but slow in the middle setting maybe that's why you are losing the target???.

AJ

With the Outlaw, it seems to need a "retune" whenever you change either the GB or disc setting while using the machine. If you turn one of those knobs, then hold the coil up a couple feet and do the retune. As far as losing your target completely after detuning in AM, I'd wonder if your GB setting may be too positive. I see a loss of good target response, particularly with the Outlaw, when GB is too positive and sensitivity run high. Turning sensitivity down helps, but you lose depth that way...better to run the GB more negative, and that'll make response stronger.

Do a "power balance" on the Outlaw, adjusting the GB in disc mode instead of AM. Maybe that'll help with not losing your target when detuning in AM... You could just have the GB too positive (?).

Holding the coil in air and pressing the retune button is a no-brainer if you have been detecting since the 70's.
Really something that was natural for us after using the pinpoint button. Your more or less de-tuning the target making it smaller each time.
It will get to a point of de-tuning where the target will no longer be heard. So you raise the coil and press the re-tune button to bring it back to normal operating condition.

A trick with de-tuning, a coin size target will de-tune a few times becoming smaller and the audio threshold will be less.

If its not a coin, every time you detune, there will be less of a change in target size and less audio threshold change.
If you de-tune more than 3 times with no changes, good chance its junk.

The Outlaw push button has some function changes like a toggle on some older Whites, Garretts depending upon the mode your in.

Nice Sven. Good little tidbit on target identifying with it!!
Learn something new every day!!

Thanks, I should have assumed the Outlaw would retune the same way as my V3i and Garrett Carrot.

I really like the tip on detuning a target. Great info.

Sven said:
Holding the coil in air and pressing the retune button is a no-brainer if you have been detecting since the 70's.
Really something that was natural for us after using the pinpoint button. Your more or less de-tuning the target making it smaller each time.
It will get to a point of de-tuning where the target will no longer be heard. So you raise the coil and press the re-tune button to bring it back to normal operating condition.

A trick with de-tuning, a coin size target will de-tune a few times becoming smaller and the audio threshold will be less.

If its not a coin, every time you detune, there will be less of a change in target size and less audio threshold change.
If you de-tune more than 3 times with no changes, good chance its junk.

The Outlaw push button has some function changes like a toggle on some older Whites, Garretts depending upon the mode your in.