Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Overcharged Explorer SE battery

Bence

I have overcharged my Explorer battery it's at 10.56 volts at the moment, at the same time, my Explorer is not working properly. I'm wondering if my Explorer should still be working at that voltage, if not, than the problem is with my Explorer, but if so, what can I do to drain the battery because it won't go down by leaving it. Or is the battery stuffed? Any help appreciated, thank you.

So your freshly charged battery pack is being read as 10.56 volts, so what ?

You didn't tell us if that is the 'Off load' measurement.

If it is then that is reasonable. 10.56 divided by 8 = 1.32 volts.

A nominal 'settled' terminal voltage would be around 1.22 or slightly greater. (depending on the cell's age and condition.

A freshly charged cell, of high amps per hour, hot off the charger, will give such a reading, (1.32 volts) ,,,ESPECIALLY IF NO LOAD IS INVOLVED.

Such ' Off load ' readings are really of limited value, for a defective cell would not be evident until subjected to a current demand.

Draw say, a 100 mA's or more, and at the same time, measure it voltage....then give us the results.

Let us know the outcome.

p.s. If you use dry cells then the total voltage will be 8 * 1.5 =12 volts.......And your detector will work just fine if it is not faulty......MattR.UK.

Sorry, that's a bit over the top of my head:shrug::blink: That is the off load measurement.

I suppose the problem's with the Explorer and not the battery.

I tried a reset, different coils, auto tune and other settings. It turns on, beeps a few times and then goes quiet. After that, it doesn't get signals on anything, even if you run the coil over something large.

you might be able to tell its the coil if you can get a threshold without it connected..... that is unless you don't lose threshold with the coil attached... if it goes completely silent with the coil attached not even threshold sound, and you can still get threshold with it removed its probably the coil

Cheers for the advice, I still get a threshold but it doesn't change. Is it safe to turn your Explorer on without the coil connected? I have tried plugging in another coil and it did the same thing.

You can tell if it's transmitting by putting the coil near your headphones and hear a buzz.

Your battery is definitely NOT overcahrged or the cause of your problem, The normal reading on the battery back is 11.4 to 11.6 volts when fully charged.

First do a machine reset by pressing and holding down the power on button for 5 seconds and he try detecting again.

if it's showing 10.56 volts I suggest trying your AA battery pack with a fresh set of batteries before getting to excited !
It may be that your rechargeable pack now has a bad cell ... sounds more like LOW voltage or a defective battery pack to me.
As Rigit posted ... a fully charged battery pack SHOULD read 11.4 volts or better when fully charged.

Mike