Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Overseas flight and the CTX

nvchris

Booked a detecting trip to England on British Airways....

Anyone have advice on packing the CTX for carryon or checked baggage?

Thanks in advanced for any insight!

Chris

If it has a lithium battery, look up the regs for the maximum capacity. I'm sure yours is belw that, but it would be a good idea to know the capacity of the battery.

Mostly however, they don't bother with metal detectors - guess it's a case of been there done that. Mi travelled to europe this summer with three detectors and a pinpointer in carry on and was never asked to open it - x-ray was good enough I guess.

I use a large bow case (Plano Bow Case from Walmart) for transporting the CTX. I can fit the detector, 2 sets of headphones, pinpointers, SS sand scoop, finds pouch with gloves, charger and spare battery pack.

It ended up costing about 110. Very sturdy. Used old packing foam to fill in spaces.

Just a quick note on the Plano case. Yesterday I checked the bag on United in Pittsburgh with ultimate destination Charleston, SC.

I got bumped and re booked on USAirways. Luggage was moved to the USAirways area. That flight was cancelled so the bags were moved to a later
flight which I assume that required another handling.

We landed in Charlotte to rush to our connection due to the plane landing late because of a gangway injury in Pittsburgh. They held the plane for the
baggage to load. On the tarmac the flight was cancelled to weather. Baggage comes off. Another rescheduled flight and who knows where the bags are.

The later flight was also cancelled and they put us on another flight to Myrtle which, in turn got cancelled. We drove the 4 hours to Myrtle Beach from Charlotte.
Baggage claim had no idea where the luggage and my CTX was.

The baggage still had the United Airlines bag tags to Charleston being handle on USAirways flight which ended up in Myrtle Beach.

I found out that the bags in fact did make it to Charleston. They were resent to Charlotte and then to Myrtle Beach. I had to cut off the luggage tags with
scissors as there were too many.

The Plano case held up great. Contents were secure, intact and fully functional. They had to be moved and handled probably times. The case did not show any
visible damage but the other suitcase was pretty scuffed up.

At least we got 3 vouchers out of the deal.