Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pantera Question

empty_pockets

Why is this detector a status or cult following...The depth is no greater than the Bandidos, brown box or UMax style and really the performance is also equal...

Never tried one, but if you're tired of yours, I'd like to borrow it for a couple weeks.

Pretty sure it was popular for the notch and the audio tone.

I had heard these were good for super hype tuning which increased depth but was
very noisy when this method was applied but worked...
silverseeker 2

Its pretty much a golden sabre 2 with ground balance.

empty_pockets said:
Why is this detector a status or cult following...The depth is no greater than the Bandidos, brown box or UMax style and really the performance is also equal...

They are rare, made in 1990 for 1 year.......I have one and it works just fine. It ground balances good at SeaSide beach, Oregon. It was a little nervous and jittery because of the black sand streaks in the wet sand. The 10 turn Ground Balance helps a bunch there as it has a large enough range in mineralized sand. I bumped up the Disc. to avoid falsing in the wet salt sand.

empty_pockets said:
Why is this detector a status or cult following.
The Pantera had a rather short production life from 7/'90 to 2/'92, so only 1 year and 7 months. I don't think it really had a 'cult-like' following, but some of us did really like it. The Pantera used the longer-length control housing [size=small](like the latter Lobo and Lobo SuperTRAQ or Toltec II)[/size] that used two, longer-shaped 4-pack AA battery holders instead of the shorter size housing used with the original Bandido that had been released earlier in the same year.

Tesoro had offered some models that featured a Notch Discriminate circuitry and had the 2-Tone audio ID with the Royal Sabre and Golden Sabre Plus, but those were 'turn-on-and-go' models with a factory preset Ground Balance. The Pantera was more appealing to me, and some savvy and avid detectorists, because it had an external 10-turn manual Ground Balance that gave me more control over it in both the All Metal and Discriminate modes.

The problems, if you want to call them that, with the Pantera were:

Some people didn't like the stacked Disc. & Notch adjustment pot and found it difficult to adjust both Disc. levels.

Some folks didn't like the added weight of the slightly heavier and larger size control housing that was mounted a little more forward than the Bandido and Silver Sabre II housings.

1990 was also a very popular time when many manufacturers were bringing out more-and-more models at similar price points that featured visual Target ID.

And I think some of the reason is we have seen more people interested in "turn-on-and-go" Tesoro models and didn't like or never learned ho to do any manual Ground Balancing.

Of note to this is that in July of '92, just five months after the Pantera's brief production life, the Golden Sabre II was introduced and it used the same Pantera circuit board. Same adjustments [size=small](except of having a preset GB and no manual GB feature)[/size], but using the extra control hole to change the stacked tuner to two separate Disc. pots for the primary Disc. mode and the Notch Disc. adjustment. The Golden Sabre II lived on 'til 5/'99 so it had was just two months short of a seven year existence.

empty_pockets said:
The depth is no greater than the Bandidos, brown box or UMax style and really the performance is also equal...
Mostly correct, but there have been a few examples of models that were hotter than the norm. I have, and have had, Bandido II µMAX units that slightly out-performed some of the Pantera units I have owned [size=small](there have been 3 of them)[/size].

So, I do not think a Pantera has a real strong 'cult' following, but I do know some of us wouldn't mind having one back in our personal arsenal. However, they have to be offered in excellent condition and at a more affordable price.

Monte

empty_pockets said:

I had a couple Tesoro Pantera units back in the day. Bought a new one with brown coil. It didn't have anymore depth than compared to the other Tesoro metal detectors made at the same time. You had to 'super-tune' it to get any added extra depth. My detecting partner smoked me every time I went hunting with him at old yards. His 'hot' mutant Garrett ultra gta 1000 would punch deeper with its 8.5" coil. Got rid of the Pantera because of that.