Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Park Hunt 12/31/15. T2 and Tesoro Eldorado comparing signals

Fish N Chips

Well I headed to the local park, it is one I have found some wheat pennies at and my Dad found a barber dime. It has had a school on the property since the 1930's, and is in an old town dating back to the 1850's. I find a lot of modern coins but there is a chance at old stuff.

I took my T2, I have been having issues with the settings knob on my new T2 and have been hoping it would correct itself. No luck, within 20 min the setting knob failed completely. It goes back to Teknetics on Saturday for repair. It was still working, I just could not change the settings. I had it Sens 60, Discrim 70 and Tones 1+, 5" DD coil. I went ahead and marked a bunch of targets in a very trashy area of the park, and got my Tesoro Eldorado with the 5.75" coil.

On the Eldorado I set the Sens at 8, Discrim just above pull tab (the park is full of them) and ground balanced. The Tesoro hit on all the targets ranging from 2-5" and did better at identifying the trash, an eye liner pencil and a couple bottle caps. It did ID the zinc pennies and a dime very well. I then covered the same area with the Tesoro, but only located one penny that the T2 or I missed. Pretty good, I do not think I am missing anything between the detectors. The T2 is quite a bit deeper in the more open/less trash filled areas. The Tesoro discriminates very well and I did a lot less bottle caps and can slaw.

I took the Tesoro and moved off to the old school entrance. It is very trashy, so I worked it slow and dug repeatable signals. I dug a lot of clad coins among the trash. I would dig a hole and have wire, pull tabs, nails and foil in the same hole. I got a great signal and dug it out and found some copper wire, luckily I re scanned and found a little nursing pin in the plug. Before putting the T2 away I got a little junker earing about 3 inches down on my way back to the truck. The post is silver, but the body is junk. It was ringing up 85 on the TID.

I admit it was fun swinging the Tesoro again. It is such a simple machine, yet no doubt when it gets a good signal. Coins just sound so sweet, and I dug a pocket full of them, just nothing old. The 5.75 coil worked well on the machine, it really pulls the good signals from the trash. I am hoping the snow has melted enough to hit an old gold mining camp tomorrow, I am enjoying this break in the weather!

20151231_161259_zpsmpf3asg6.jpg

Yep, that's why I keep my trusty Cibola, it's a killer in trash with the 5.75 concentric coil. Got a park that has been pounded to death with all kinds of detectors including myself. One day me and my hunting bud's were at the park nobody finding anything, so I whiped out the Cibola and got two mercs and a wheat out of the trashy spot we were hunting at. The minelab boy's were a little beside there self to say the least. I do like my gamma but it is a thrill to hit the trash pile with a simple machine and pull out the goods.

If your settings are not moving at all it needs to be sent in. The trouble I have with mine in colder weather is that the numbers move slow and the some times go back a little instead of forward but it does move. Does 1+ give the lower tone on the zincs and higher or the dimes like 3 does.

Thanks Chuck, It went off today for 45 dollars shipping, ouch! The settings knob issue not only surfaced quick, but degraded very quick on mine. I look forward to having it fixed properly and get back to hunting with it.

1+ is just a VCO single tone on the machine, very Tesoro like. I use it when I set the discrimination higher, as the separation is better with the single tone. The tone does seem to squeal a bit over a coin though, giving me a higher squeak which often draws my attention. I think it is the concentration of the tone over the smaller uniform targets. The tone is very descriptive on targets and not as digitized as some of the other tones. I use the 3 tone a lot with low discrimination and it is a great way to hunt, especially in parks. The 2+ is pretty useful too, even with the discrim around 24 to knock out nails I can get a little grunt on larger iron pieces. I like all the functions on the T2, it is nice to set it up for how I feel and how to best hunt a certain site depending on the trash targets, or lack of trash.