Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Park Hunting Leads to New Coil Decision - T2 "Classic"

Fish N Chips

I am finding that at my local parks the 11" DD coil on my T2 'classic' is just too large. It is not performing well in the litter, and it is very noisy. I find it hard to pull good targets but for a few open areas. It gets great depth, but it struggles with any trash that is around. I have been using the 5" coil, and it works very well in the trash, but is smaller than I need for general hunting. It is hard to cover much ground and I go over large areas with minimal trash. I have been wanting a mid-sized coil to better hunt the changing conditions of the parks I go too, where I do not need to switch coils for each area of the park as much. I find my 9x8 coil on my Tesoro has always worked well for general hunting, and orbiting my older spots looking for the nail litter (where I switch to the small coil). It is small enough to be hunt-able in the litter, but large enough to cover ground. Not ideal for every condition, but multipurpose enough to do well enough on whatever I encounter.

I really wanted a 6x8 coil, but Detech is impossible to find in the US. After much research and Mega's reviews, I decided to give the NEL Sharp Shooter a try. I am hoping the smaller footprint of this coil will fill my medium coil size requirement. I have read a lot of good reviews on the NEL on the T2, it seems to get good depth, separation, and discrimination. I watched some videos on the coil with some Teknetic detectors (no T2's unfortunately), and it seemed to perform much better on the nail board test than the 11" DD. Not as good as the 5" coil, but that is too be expected.

I can not wait to get the coil and give it a try. I will use the 5" coil for my nail ridden sites, the 11" coil for beaches and fields, and the NEL for parks and general hunting. I am glad I did not get the 15" coil, I would not have any place around me to use it!

I bought the NEL Sharpshooter for the same reason as you. I really like it. It goes surprisingly deep for its size. It comes with a cover and the mounting hardware; a very good product. I like the versatility in having the Sharpshooter and the 5"DD. Good luck and Happy Hunting!:detecting:

I use the NEL Sharpshooter here on my Gamma 6000. It's an excellent coil. With the 9-inch length you can cover some ground, and the 5-inch width gives good target separation on the side-to-side swings. Also I have three other coils: 5-inch NEL Sharp concentric, and 8-inch and 11-inch concentrics. Parks here in Northeast Florida have two kinds of areas -- some large open areas, and some small areas where trash has accumulated. Sometimes those areas are only a few yards apart. The 5-inch concentric could be best for the real trashy places, but the Sharpshooter works well in both kinds of areas, without having to swap between the big and little coils every few minutes.

Hoping it's helpful.

I have the CORS 5" coil and have not used it other than on the NBT and in my test garden. I was surprised at how deep this hockey puck size coil reaches. I am thinking of trying the CORS equivalent to the Sharpshooter on my classic as well.

My 5" DD Teknetics coil will easily do 5-6" at 60 sensitivity, likely deeper maxed out. Very suprising for such a small coil. I am sure the CORS and NEL will do the same. The small coils are a beast on the machine. I use them a lot in the iron. I find they work well with the coil 3-4" off the ground, as the iron does not overload it as much, yet the good signals come through loud and clear. Even with the coil this far off the ground I am hitting 4+" deep targets at 40 sensitivity!

Changing coils is exactly why I wanted the Sharp Shooter. I am constantly changing coils at the park, or dedicating myself to a certain location based on the coil I have on. I hope this coil allows me to keep it on for more of the park and some less littered older sites. It sounds like it will be just the right tool for the job. No doubt it will get a little masking in the heavy trash, but the convienience will be worth it, and I can hit the trash later with the small coil to further clean it up.

How do the ID numbers compare with the stock coils? Is there much or any difference? Also how is the discrimination with the coil. I can normally tell bottle caps now by lifting the foil and checking if the tone and ID drop off.

With The T2's Lighting fast recovery speed, any small coil on the T2 in a moderately targeted hunting area, will be a Huge improvement over the stock coil.